Pulled Pork-Quick Help Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myagentcam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Hi all. I'm doing pulled pork tomorrow. It is marked as a "pork shoulder butt." Is this a pork butt or a pork pork shoulder? I thought they were different cuts..?

Also, is there a general rule about how long it takes per pound? I will be pulling it out based on temp, but I'm trying to get an idea on when will should put it in the smoker. This is a 15lb cut.

Thanks for the help!

15lb...are you sure you don't have a pack of 2 butts.
At 275 I figure about an hour a lb.
I don't smoke by temp,that's just a guideline. You should smoke by feel..Bone wiggle and the bone pulling out of the butt tells me that the meat is done. Or probe tender tells me it is done.
Every smoker cooks different.
You don't mention what kind of smoker you have or what temp you want to smoke at.
Answer them questions and we can help you more.

An uncut pork shoulder and butt has a VERY distinct shape, coming to a point on one end where it was separated from the rest of the leg. There will also be skin on the picnic portion of the shoulder. If the 15 lb "pork shoulder butt" is in a vacuum pack and square looking, you have two separate butts.

The rules per pound are general guidelines based on the smoking/cooking temp and technique used (wrapping or not wrapping). Two 8 lb butts take just a little longer than one 8 lb butt. Please provide specifics if you can't find it using the search feature.

Turns out i have 2 7ish pound ones. I didn't realoze that until I opened the package just a bit ago. I have aapropanea a smoker and plan to use a bit of mesquite and apple wood. I'll probably justjdo one tomorrow and vacuuv seal the other

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky