Pulled pork for Super Bowl party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
Good Morning SMF,

I am doing pulled pork for our Super Bowl party and need some help. There will be about 14 adults at the party and right now I have a 10 pound butt in the freezer. Do you think I need a bigger (or another smaller) butt for this many people?

NOTE: The pulled pork is going to be the main dish.

Well, a 10 pounder will yield approx 6 pounds of pulled meat.
Are you planning on just one average sized sandwhich per person and no second or third helpings?

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I always figure 1lbs per person raw weight then add a few more cause left overs are always good.I have run short a few time over the last 25 years or so but very rarely hope you have a great get party

I would go with the 2 butts also. Better to have leftovers than to run out......but I'm going to guess that you won't have too many leftovers to worry about!! If you do, just vac seal and use at a later date

I think that butt would be fine as I imagine there will be plenty of sides. ROT is 1/4lb per person. 10lbs = 6lb finished, 24 sandwiches. We like to use slider buns for PP at parties and that stretches it even farther. I would 2 if it was like a PP and potato chips type of meal.

I think more would be a good call. Remember, everyone will eat and rant and rave at the beginning of the game, then around halftime a second wave of hunger/boredom will hit people and they'll go back for more. Then at the end of the game people will stick around and talk about the game whilst snacking on their favorite bits...which will no doubt be small, bite-sized strips of delicious pulled pork.

Now, here's a question for anyone with a GMG Davy Crockett grill. Will 2 10 pound butts fit on the grill? It appears they may, but just want to ask. If not, I have an MES 30 I can use. That thing will take much longer though, so have to get the timing down.

You should know your group if they are a bunch of hunters and hard working men there is no way a 1/4 will hold them. I don't think I've ever had a group other than the ladies in the group (even some of them no way) give up on a 1/4. My family would laugh at me. So plan hearty and use what's left if any. or maybe some take homes will be requested.

Warren

Now, here's a question for anyone with a GMG Davy Crockett grill. Will 2 10 pound butts fit on the grill? It appears they may, but just want to ask. If not, I have an MES 30 I can use. That thing will take much longer though, so have to get the timing down.
I don't know if 2 10 lbers would fit I'm not fimilar with your smoker.
Would a 7lb and a 10lb fit?

You guys can EAT! LOL. Another idea. We served PP and had a baked potato bar for daughters grad party. I had no idea so many people were aware of putting PP on their spuds but pretty much everyone did. Dozen baked potatoes cut in half wrap in foil. Bring sour cream, green onion, nacho cheese, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky