Pulled Pork First Time Ever!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeyj121

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
So after trying to smoke my first batch of wings and chix thighs, I decided to go ahead and make some pulled pork.

My pork shoulder was around 4.4lbs pre-trimmed. I didnt trim it so much, just a few hanging meats cut off here and there.

Seasoned the pork shoulder with a simple rub while waiting for the smoker to heat up.

My go-to temp was 275. As a newbie, im still learning to maintain my temp better; so temp was actually ranging from 250-300. But I tried my best to make it stay at 275.

I checked on it after 5hours. It didnt quite get the bark that I wanted, so I let it stay for another hour.

Shoulder 'bout to get wrapped...

6 hours in. I wrapped the pork shoulder when the outside was darker but the meat was still moist

Then shoulder was back in the cooker for another few hours until IT temp was 195. I wanted to let it cook until IT was 205; but As cooking time took longer than I expected, I needed to finish it up soon so I pulled it out, let it rest in the foil at home for 2hrs while running errands; then get back and refrigerate it whole.

The next day I took it out, put some apple juice on the pan, with the pork shoulder, wrapped in foil and reheated at 200 for 2hrs.

Pork was pulled. I felt like it was slightly dry; but my family said it was ok, it was probably because of the meat being lean. I still felt like it could be a little juicier, a little tenderer, a little better. I need your advice

And oh, my friend gave me a few rolls of foil, but they are not heavy-duty. I just didnt wanna waste the foil so I still used it. The foil was torn a couple small holes near the bone since it was a thinner kind of foil. That could be the reason why I lost some juice and air made meats dried out a lil more while being refrigerated overnight.

Anyway, i mixed it all up with some vinegar sauce, made some coleslaw and boom, here comes the dinner for the family

Pitmaaters and newbies, any smoke lovers, please let me know what you think.

Anything help is always appreciated

I know it wasnt the best pulled pork; but it was my first one ever. I really tried, and Im happy my family had a good time.

Last edited:
Well it sure looks good from here!

I think you did real well for your first time!

Sometimes when the shoulders are that small they can get a little dry.

I always look for one in the 8-10 lb. range, bone in.

I sent you a point for a good looking first try!

Al

Well it sure looks good from here!

I think you did real well for your first time!

Sometimes when the shoulders are that small they can get a little dry.

I always look for one in the 8-10 lb. range, bone in.

I sent you a point for a good looking first try!

Al

Thank you Al

I really appreciate it.

Finally I was able to do something right

That was a long long 9hr cook. 9hr of watching and adjusting the fire wasnt that easy but Im still trying. Thank you Al [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Any more suggestions, criticisms, comments...would be much appreciated !!!

I don't wrap at all. Al is right about the smaller shoulders. I use IT of 195 as a gauge for doneness. Once it gets to 195 start probing with a toothpick. It should slide in no/little resistance. I've seen IT's from 192 to 200+. Depends on thermometer placement.

Looks good to me, leftovers? Probably not. Check out JJ's finishing sauce, it's awesome. Use it all the time.

RG

I don't wrap at all. Al is right about the smaller shoulders. I use IT of 195 as a gauge for doneness. Once it gets to 195 start probing with a toothpick. It should slide in no/little resistance. I've seen IT's from 192 to 200+. Depends on thermometer placement.

Looks good to me, leftovers? Probably not. Check out JJ's finishing sauce, it's awesome. Use it all the time.

RG
Leftovers are in the freezer, but they should be gone tomorrow. Thanks for that RG, and I will definitely try JJ's sauce. 

I think you did a great job on the PP.  1st time or 50th.  Looks good to me.

Larger butts are nicer to smoke, but about all I can find around here are in the 5 lb range, so that's what I use all the time.  I smoke mine at 240 to an IT of 205 and they turn out great.  If it was a bit dry, try brining the meat overnight--that will add some extra moisture to the pulled pork.  Richie (tropics) has had great success with that.

JJ's finishing sauce is VERY good, but I often use SoFla's finishing sauce (love it)--you'll find it in the pork sticky.

Gary

I don't wrap mine at all until they are done cooking. To test doneness I pull on the bone. If it'll come out without any meat on it then it's perfect. Also, I cook mine with the fat cap up. I don't know that it matters but my thought has always been that the fat could possibly drip through the meat while it's rendering and help baste the roast. In all likelihood this is a false pretense but it makes me happier.

Damn.  Forgot to leave you a POINT and had to come back and do it.

Gary

Things like this put a smile on my face all damn day. Thank you for your kind words. I know Im new and lack of experience; but swear to God during that first 9 hour cook ever, I kept telling myself that "I messed up on the chix, which is the easiest to cook. But im gonna try until someone starts give me a point". Thann God I got lucky this time haha.

Looks darn tasty from here! Good job!

Thank you :sausage:

I don't wrap mine at all until they are done cooking. To test doneness I pull on the bone. If it'll come out without any meat on it then it's perfect. Also, I cook mine with the fat cap up. I don't know that it matters but my thought has always been that the fat could possibly drip through the meat while it's rendering and help baste the roast. In all likelihood this is a false pretense but it makes me happier.

I do love cooking it fat side up. And I think the exact same thing. thank you and keep on smoking.:grilling_smilie:

J That looks great making me hungry. I like using a disposable pan for wrapping,you don't have to worry about the bone.Also you can add some juice and when you get close to 200* start checking with a tooth pick.Points

Richie

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

quick question what is a point im new here only a week 
A point is simply recognition of a great post of a smoke, or to show appreciation for information shared by a member.  They have no value for anything except a show of appreciation.  You give points by clicking the little thumb at the bottom of a post.  

Hope this helps.

Gary

A point is simply recognition of a great post of a smoke, or to show appreciation for information shared by a member.  They have no value for anything except a show of appreciation.  You give points by clicking the little thumb at the bottom of a post.  

Hope this helps.

Gary
Gotcha, yes it did thank you

I don't have as much experience as a lot of guys and gals on here but, I have found you can get away with smoking larger shoulders at higher temps( 275-300). For the smaller shoulders like this when I smoked them at those temps they all came out little dry. If you come across a small cut like this again try keeping the temps around 225 and I think you'll be ok..

Or better yet, get an 8 pounder or bigger and you'll crush it using the same steps you did with this one. 

Good luck, brother.

Last edited:
J That looks great making me hungry. I like using a disposable pan for wrapping,you don't have to worry about the bone.Also you can add some juice and when you get close to 200* start checking with a tooth pick.Points
Richie

:congratulation_graphics_2:

Thank you so much for all the helpful tricks. Hope to get more points from you haha

I don't have as much experience as a lot of guys and gals on here but, I have found you can get away with smoking larger shoulders at higher temps( 275-300). For the smaller shoulders like this when I smoked them at those temps they all came out little dry. If you come across a small cut like this again try keeping the temps around 225 and I think you'll be ok..

Or better yet, get an 8 pounder or bigger and you'll crush it using the same steps you did with this one. 

Good luck, brother.

Yes sir. Thank you for all the helpful info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky