Pulled pork ahead of time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Daughter asks last night if I'll do pulled pork or a function for her sorority for a Friday night. Sure 40 girls no biggie. Here is my question or should say options.
1. Stick burner, start wee hours on Sunday morning the weekend before. Let them finish, pull and refrigerate until Friday and they reheat. That would be 5 nights in fridge. Safety wise I see no problem, let me know if I'm wrong, but quality wise I'm not sure.
2. Take Thursday off and do like option 1. Only 1 night in fridge.
3. Start them wed after work smoke until late night. Pan and wrap putting them in food warmer overnight @180F. Half day vac thurs and finish them.

Any thoughts welcome.

I would smoke them the weekend before, vac seal them up, and freeze them. I don't think there is a safety issue with them being in the fridge that long as I have done this several times but I think you would probably get better flavor reheating from frozen. Took several pounds on a beach trip frozen and reheated there and tasted like it just came out of the smoker. Place the bags in pots of simmering water or SV if you have one, dump in a pan hot once they are done, and you are good to go on Friday!

Agreed with SmokinVOLfan, smoke it up the weekend or a couple prior and vac bag and freeze. I do this with my vendor events/catering gigs because I work a 9-5 and can't usually cook day of, and never have had a complaints.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Vol
I didn't think about the vac and freeze but that would work and opens up getting them done sooner (days wise). Thanks

Agreed with SmokinVOLfan, smoke it up the weekend or a couple prior and vac bag and freeze. I do this with my vendor events/catering gigs because I work a 9-5 and can't usually cook day of, and never have had a complaints.
Vac and freeze seems to be the answer.

You could also mix in a little finishing sauce if needed after you reheat but I have never had to. I like to save the juice and drippings from the butts and freeze as well and reheat and mix in the meat the same time as warm up. Juicy and flavorful.

Not sure if you are anywhere near a food lion but they have butts for $.99 lb through tomorrow.

another vote for what SmokinVOLfan said. takes all the timing pressure off and it will still be great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky