pulled chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyreb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2005
SC
pulled chicken smoked for 3 1/2 hours with oak, put my sc style mustard based sauce on it and made sammiches mmmmmm good!!!

the ham went untouched heh :twisted:

its my new favorite

i used a mustard based sauce on it

South Carolina style sauce

1 cup mustard
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 tblspn chili powder
1 tblspn garlic powder
2 teaspn black pepper
5 drops tabasco sauce
2 tblspn worcestire sauce
kosher salt to taste

Bring to a slow boil then let simmer for ½ hour

Crazyhorse,

SoFlaQuer posted a recipe for some finishing sauce I believe in the pork section that is simple and is to die for. If you make pulled chicken/pork often try this out it is excellent!

yea i saw that...still trying to get him off his rub recipe's :roll:

i like mustard based on my pork and chicken, im not a big fan of the vinegar based

but.... if i am grilling chicken i will use a vinegar mop/baste
and put ketchup based sauce on to finish it off :D

I like the mustard based sauces as well. Man oh man, crazyhorse...that meat looks good! And I like the idea of pulled chicken sandwiches. I think I am going to try that this weekend for Father's Day, along with the leg quarters and breasts. I got about 20-30 people coming over this Saturday!

I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow.. I took out some boneless skinless breasts for dinner tomorrow and will try that sauce you list here. Pulled chicken sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now feeling a little inspired. I'm going to use a bourbon marinade, and smoke the breasts... can't wait to eat now...

Bourbon Marinade (so good on beef!)
1- 5oz bottle soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar---packed
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cup water

Hey Jay,

I have a sauce a lot like that.

I drink the 1/4 cup bourbon, throw the water over my left shoulder and then marinade the meat in the soy, brown sugar, lemon juice and worcestershire sauce :shock: ! Is that how you do it in MD? :?:

:-) Actually, in MD, we put the bourbon and everything in the marinade, down a beer while the marinade works its magic, then for the water pan in the smoker, drink a beer and pour some more water in the pan. ;-) To make sure things are going well, we also drink a beer every few minutes or so to keep the proper perspective.

that's a lot like we do it in Louisiana. I would give you a smiley face here, but since I started using imageshack to post pictures I can't use the emoticans. Thats why I do :D.

I got my smiley faces back 8) HOORAY!!!

Oh man, that bourbon marinade recipe looks awesome. I have some leftover chicken that I did yesterday - pulled chicken sandwiches for lunch today!

My wife didn't think she'd like the mustard sauce, so went primarily with the bourbon sauce, but used some mustard on the side. She loved it!!! Crazyhorse's mustard sauce was a winner! The chicken itself turned out decent. Boneless breasts didn't get too tender, so had to pull more than like with a shoulder. It was great stuff though. That hickory smelled so good and now my house smells good. :-) Thanks!

Crazyhorse,

If that mustard sauce is a bit too vinegary..try substituting apple cider vinegar for the white vinegar...then adding a couple tablespoons of butter right at the end of the simmer time...it mellows out the sauce..

I've changed the mind of many Northern Folk with my Georgia/Carolina Mustard sauce....nothing better on chicken or pork.

Jaynik,

3 ways to make the chicken breast more juicy...Brine, Brine, Brine

-Rock-

Jaynik,

You know, I felt the same way. I then made some for my daughter. When I started the cook process of the sauce I smelled the aroma. Now I use it quite heavily.

Take care,

Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky