• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pulled Chicken

burm1000

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 18, 2017
Working on some pulled chicken on slider buns. I've got about 7lbs of chicken thighs (skin and bones inlcluded). The good thing about the skin is it is so loose it is easy to get rub directly on the meat then wrap back up. I think the skin protects it from drying out a bit compared to boneless skinless. Brined them for about 4 hours in 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup kosher, 1/2 cup brown sugar (Jeff's recipe). Rinsed and patted dry. A little yellow mustard and some of Jeff's rub. On the WSM at about 230 degrees with hickory smoke. I'll take them to about 175 per Jeff's comments on thighs being able to handle the higher heat.

Added a pic two hours in. Looking good!

Attachments

Last edited:

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Nice. Looking forward to finished product

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Looks like you are off to a good start. I’ll grab a chair and wait for the finish.

burm1000

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 18, 2017
Working on some pulled chicken on slider buns. I've got about 7lbs of chicken thighs (skin and bones inlcluded). The good thing about the skin is it is so loose it is easy to get rub directly on the meat then wrap back up. I think the skin protects it from drying out a bit compared to boneless skinless. Brined them for about 4 hours in 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup kosher, 1/2 cup brown sugar (Jeff's recipe). Rinsed and patted dry. A little yellow mustard and some of Jeff's rub. On the WSM at about 230 degrees with hickory smoke. I'll take them to about 175 per Jeff's comments on thighs being able to handle the higher heat.

Added a pic two hours in. Looking good!

finished product.

Attachments

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks awesome!! I don’t know why but I’ve never actually done pulled chicken. You’ve made me add it to my list now.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 11, 2014
I'm a thigh man! My favorite part of a yardbird.

Great looking picture in the smoker with the skin browned up.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Very nice!
Al

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Looks good!
I do a lot of pulled chicken, grand kids love it.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.