Pulled Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

concordeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Mullens, WV
 Researched the forums for the most popular cut of chicken to cook to a pull. Decided on thighs. Grocery store had 10 of them on sale for $6.99. 

Mixed up some black pepper, kosher salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, paprika, and brown sugar for a dry rub.

Sprinkled each one real good with seasoning.

Got the smoker up to 250 degrees with lump charcoal. Used aged apple wood from a tree I cut down last year for smoke. Put all 10 thighs on and fired up the dual probe remote thermometer. 

When the thighs hit 160 degrees I got out a foil pan. Peeled off the skin on each thigh and placed it in the pan. After all 10 was nice and snug in there I spritzed with apple juice and apple cider vinegar. I covered with heavy duty foil and let them cook foiled for 1 hour. 

After 1 hour I took them off the smoker and drained the juice out of the pan. I closed the foil back up and let them rest in the oven with it turned off for another hour. 

Poured about 2 cups of Sonny's Sweet BBQ Sauce in a saucer. Heated it on low to a near boil. Added some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper to the BBQ sauce (It thins it and makes it tangy)

Pulled the chicken off the bone after and hour (it basically fell off) and slathered with sauce. Mixed it up and chowed it down.

Ranked up there with some of the best barbecue I've cooked to date. 

There you go! Good call on using the thighs for PC ...best bang for the buck. Sounds like it came out real good. Ever since I got my WSM , chicken has been one of my favorite things to cook. I like your method here too . I think I'll steal a few of these steps next time. :grilling_smilie:

I cooked it with the skin down. It seems to help hold the moisture in. Feel free to use any of my methods. I've attempted to make barbecue sauce several times from scratch but whenever I use a sauce like Sonny's and ad my own flair to it I just cannot make sauce that turns out that good. It's kind of an ego thing I guess. I'd like to master a sauce but I will settle for what's best!

Ribs have always been my favorite thing to smoke but I tell you chicken is getting closer to the top.

Every time I do a chicken I always say I am going to pull it. This just helped me make my mind up. Next time I see thighs on sale I'm going to make pulled chicken.

Any Q views?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky