Pulled Boston Butt in Texas / Jeffs Rub / Creole Injection / Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
It been a while since I posted a Sunday Dinner smoke. And its been even longer since I tossed a Butt in the MES. I've been alternating briskets and turkey with occasional big steaming pots of GUMBO (Variations of a  Recipe by Foamheart. To make a roux is a beautiful thing and I thank Kevin for showing me the way!). 

But back to the Butt…. 

My favorite grocery store has gotten into the habit of splitting the Boston Butts in to two pieces. …About 4 pounders.  Which frankly ticks me off a bit.  My guess is that the reason they split them is for  stew or Green Chile ( Popular in Texas).  Fortunately they keep a few whole Butts and maybe a Picnic or two in the back for the "Purists".

I picked out the best of the few they had.  8 pounds.

In a glass bowl I mixed up some of Jeff's Rub. For those of you that have not tried the rub I suggest you do. While the rub is described  as a rib rub it is excellent on a Pork Butt.  The rub creates great flavor and a good amount of bark on a Boston Butt. Well worth the few dollar asking price and it's available on this site.  Later we will mix up a batch of Jeff's sauce (also available on this site) to serve with the pulled pork.

Lastly, right before we put the pig on the grate I'll inject the meat with a good amount of a variation of Creole Butter.  

We will serve this hog pulled with a splash of SoFla finishing sauce on choice of cheap white buns or "Taco Style" on flour buttery tortillas.  Sides will be home made cabbage cole slaw tossed in home made dressing and a big pot of spicy Cowboy Pinto Beans.  Jeffs BBQ sauce will be presented on the side. 

More to come!

Brian

Sounds like a plan is coming together. Cant wait to see the results

A couple hours into the smoke... I take a peek. Temp is good. Pellets are burning well. A little mop on the meat and close the MES till morning. 

The internal temp of the butt is 199.  I'm taking it out of the MES.  I'll let it sit covered on the counter for a bit before  I pull it.

dang nab It man!!!!!!! very nice
drool.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky