Pulled beef - what am I doing wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
So we have tried pulled beef twice now and while it smoked up great, it did not pull apart like a pork butt will.

Do I have to go with a higher IT? Is it the type of meat?

This last time we did an arm roast for over 8 hours and pulled it off the pellet smoker about 201 or so. Like I said, sliced up great, just did not pull apart.

3013E228-15C5-4875-BADD-AFDF78DC756D.jpeg

4E1D1510-0387-4F12-B0F3-4D717490FEC1.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks pretty, but you pulled too soon. You can’t smoke to target IT, you need to smoke it until the toothpick goes in and out all over, smoke to probe tender!

You need to take the IT to around 210. When finished wrap in foil and put in a cooler with towels for about an hour. This will change the game for you

You need to take the IT to around 210. When finished wrap in foil and put in a cooler with towels for about an hour. This will change the game for you

Yes I've used Jake's recipe 3 times with great results everytime !

Next one we will aim higher. Thanks for the info
And see if it probes tender . Had this one go all they way to 211 , and 11 hours in the smoker . Probed tender , but wouldn't shred . Perfect slice though . Melt in your mouth .
If you add liquid when you wrap , make sure the liquid is warmed up .
1643470503232.jpeg

It’s sometimes counterintuitive, you need to get it to the point where all the collagen and connective tissue is rendered to enable it to pull apart. Each is different, that’s why you hear “probe tender” a lot here. It may be probe tender at 199 or 210. The IT is more a guide to when to probe.

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
Beef for pulling, cuts like short rib, chuck or brisket will benefit from a wrapped (or covered step). Not only will this help getting through the stall, but it will tender it up a little and the foil juices can be de-fatted and returned for moisture. You just have to careful when probing so you don't take it too far. This is a Cajun style brisket that is served with rice and gravy, so I smoked it for 5 or 6 hours, then used my Magnalite for the finish. It's very tender and limber and I got some pullable meat. However, another 30 minutes would have made it un-sliceable.... it's a fine line.
Wj5DzDO.jpg
E8PKv0Q.jpg
MaMvXbO.jpg

My two favorite cuts for pulling are chuck and brisket point. Short rib will certainly pull but I can’t bring myself to pull them.

I agree with the other comments. It looks like the cut of meat is your problem. I use Chuck roasts for mine. Points work good too. Need something with a lot of fat. . I cook them right next to my pork butts. Exact same temp and time. About 4-5 hours on the smoke, then 4-5 hours wrapped. Then 4-5 hours rest. I usually start them 5pm and shred them 7am the next morning.

Reactions: jcam222
Agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE and chopsaw chopsaw . IT more like 210ish. Ive only done chucks and they turned out great.
+1; I've read of guys that had probe tender under 200F but never happened to me. I start probing 205F. It's better to err on the side of being overdone than under. Great pics everyone. Gonna defrost some brisket I did over the summer for this exact scenario: cold as a witches *** here and under advisory but craving caveman meat. :emoji_laughing:

i would try a chuck roast next time they are better for pulled beef.

I agree with the other comments. It looks like the cut of meat is your problem. I use Chuck roasts for mine. Points work good too. Need something with a lot of fat.

Agree with many things said above
1) cook longer
2) use a chuck roast instead of the leaner arm roast
3) wrap in butcher paper after several hours of smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky