Pulled Beef Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
This is my first try at pulled beef. Mrs Smoke wanted to make tacos for when the kids visit from the Netherlands this weekend. You folks have been tempting me over the last year with street tacos, so I decided to see what all the fuss is about. I picked up a 3.5lb chuck, rubbed it last night with mustard and taco seasoning. This morning I put it in the Frankenbuilt at 225 over hickory.

I’ll let it run until I get some nice bark, then move it to a Dutch oven with some red sauce that I will make, and let it go in the oven until it probes tender at around 205 or so.

I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m just winging it. Stay close to your radio, I may have questions!

59CBCEB3-C090-4A65-B140-F9FDCD758EC5.jpeg

I think you have a good plan on your hands. One tip I can share is putting the meat in a double foil wrap (or foil pan) inside the Dutch oven. Your juices and meat stay in closer contact while taking advantage of the radiant heat of the Dutch oven. And those juices won't cook down as quickly.

I think you have a good plan on your hands. One tip I can share is putting the meat in a double foil wrap (or foil pan) inside the Dutch oven. Your juices and meat stay in closer contact while taking advantage of the radiant heat of the Dutch oven. And those juices won't cook down as quickly.

Thanks, I will give that a try!

It is sweet when the smoker is just cruising along, you have a nice cup of coffee, the paper to read, and the chores just have to wait.

Thanks for the likes!

701482BA-5E17-4683-A54F-8CF085AF78D3.jpeg

Reactions: bigfurmn
Sounds to me like you have a pretty good idea what you're doing. Keep it covered in the oven or foil it like thirdeye said.
As long as it doesn't dry out it should be awesome.

I'm here for the finish. Sounds tasty. I take mine to around 210 and have had much better results doing pulled beef that way.

Reactions: OldSmoke
View attachment 509669

Nice shot of the smoker and the yard. How's your smoker attachment going , still working great.

David

My home-brew smoke generator works great. I have two smoking tubes so I can easily reload as one peeters out. I am using a mix of pellets and chips. I get very consistent and with the air eductor, controllable smoke. It works great for cheese, putting zero heat into the cabinet. It is one hair-brained idea that actually works.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes you showed me your build , I am very impressed . I have the needle valve you helped me with ,

but now I want to set up for cold smoking. I am not a machinist . so I might have to do like a mailbox system. Just playing with the ideas on paper first before I cut holes into the Masterbuilt. Am wondering where I have my smoker up on a bench if I could just pipe in the smoke to the bottom of the smoker where the burner area is . As it is open there some. Just thinking on text... ha ha

David

I pulled the roast from the smoker at four hours at 225, put it into a Dutch oven with a red sauce I made. Then it took four hours in the oven at 275.

61079D84-C8DC-49BD-A2A2-21B4C82ECE9E.jpeg

Judging the doneness by temp or time was not valuable. They got me in the ballpark. As has been said here so many times, the real test is pulling the meat.

70F67FD4-C701-4EB7-8E79-66106B191FFC.jpeg

It pulled beautifully! I have to get it covered in foil or there won’t be any left. It tastes really good. Not over-spiced, just very rich. The meat is very moist.

D2FD91B4-AF6C-47A3-8695-760B00718EAE.jpeg

I am reducing the red sauce to use as a drizzle when we are ready to serve. if nessesary.

I would declare making pulled beef pretty idiot proof.

I pulled the roast from the smoker at four hours at 225, put it into a Dutch oven with a red sauce I made. Then it took four hours in the oven at 275.

View attachment 509697

Judging the doneness by temp or time was not valuable. They got me in the ballpark. As has been said here so many times, the real test is pulling the meat.

View attachment 509696

It pulled beautifully! I have to get it covered in foil or there won’t be any left. It tastes really good. Not over-spiced, just very rich. The meat is very moist.

View attachment 509698

I am reducing the red sauce to use as a drizzle when we are ready to serve. if nessesary.

I would declare making pulled beef pretty idiot proof.
Nicely done!

Wingin it huh??? Isn't that how the best recipes come about? Looks great from here. Hope it tastes twice as good as it looks. Well done.

Nicely done!

Thanks!

Wingin it huh??? Isn't that how the best recipes come about? Looks great from here. Hope it tastes twice as good as it looks. Well done.

Thanks! Now I need to write everything down! Yes, it tastes great. I’ve learned that you need to make twice as much just to account for the sampling.

Reactions: bigfurmn
I'm here for the finish. Sounds tasty. I take mine to around 210 and have had much better results doing pulled beef that way.

I just reread your note. I ended up at 210 just as you mentioned.

Reactions: TNJAKE
The reduced red sauce is amazing. It will taste really good drizzled over the meat. I let it sit over night in the refrigerator, then skimmed the fat off the top this morning. I could just sit there with a spoon and eat it like soup. It picked up the meat juice and the spices from the rub. I wasn’t sure about it last night, but the flavors melded and wow, it is good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky