Public service announcement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack73

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 9, 2020
SC, just a smidge from Charlotte
Folks- especially you young folks but this applies to all....

If your back hurts, get it looked at early. Do whatever you can to make it better. I have degen disc. Also have spurs and arthritis up and down my spine. Most days suck, some less than others.

Did something Saturday that even just 5 years ago I could do with 'relative' ease. Put brake pads on my truck. I last did a brake job circa 2018. On an F150, this is a fairly easy job. I've had a 2000, a 2012, and 2 2018 F150's. Not hard at all by any means. Just a pad slap with no complications can be done in about 20 mins per side.

Saturday, this job took me 6 hours. By the time I got the last front tire on, I could barely move. Just getting that tire on took 20 minutes and required me to get the jack JUST right so that I could slide the wheel on rather than lift it a half inch onto the studs. Of course, the last one did have frozen slide pins (so I get to repeat the process when my rebuild kits come in lol) and I had to whop on it some with my BFH. My LFH (the handle of my ratchet) just laughed at it!

Well, I spun the lug nuts on and removed the jack and stands. I was in so much pain that I forgot to do the most important piece of the job. Torque down my lug nuts.

Today I drove about 200 miles. The last 20 miles I started hearing something that wasn't right. I attributed it to the stuck pins and kept driving. Pulled it into the warehouse at work tonight and got down on the floor to look at it. The first thing I see - a lug nut holding on by about 2 threads. 4 were super loose on each front. I hope I didn't wallow out the wheels or F up the studs.

It hit me right then, I never hit them with the impact after I dropped the truck down. Just got the factory tool and spun them all to tight enough to get me the 11 miles home. Impact at midnight on the menu...... I apologize to all of my neighbors......

Yes, I have a torque wrench and know that I need to torque them. Not tonight Satan. After I rebuild the calipers Saturday ;)

Anyhoo- take care of your back folks. I'd trade an eye for 4 new inches.

Of spine......

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
I am right there with ya, bro. Collapsed spine (degen disc) from years as a tree climber. Last week I put my back out while sleeping, of all things, and it's just now getting back to what I'd call a normal level of pain.

A few ibuprofen and drinks... makes it tolerable ! Really sucks using the countertop to make it around the kitchen to the coffee pot in the mornings!

Ryan
A stash of lortabs for when things get so bad you can't get out of your chair helps, too. Had to take one last week just to be able to function, but that is a rarity.

Yep in the same boat. Spinal stenosis in my neck, degenerative discs and bone spurs in my neck, Dr. said my MRI was scary, Hahaha!! Also lower lumbar has spinal stenosis and a slight scoliosis. All thanks to a life played hard and a car accident on my 21st birthday. Been surfing and skating and all sorts of things that have attributed to those things since I was a kid!! One thing that works for me is stretching daily and I have a pull up bar that I hang on multiple times a day. Stretching those vertebrates out helps immensely!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
Already had fusions at C 5/6 and C2/3 in two different surgeries. Most of my issues now are lumbar area, and I will hold out as long as possible before I let them cut on me again.

I'm 48 and my body is nearly done. 30yrs of playing soccer, 25yrs of snowboarding (I do double black diamond runs), 12yrs of sportbike racing (with 3 bad accidents on the track), 25yrs of cooking on the line standing for 10hrs a day. Then 12yrs doing bodywork for GM.

2 knee surgeries on L knee, 1 surgery on the right. Bad car accident when I was 17 that messed up my back. Cracked skull (forehead) when I was 12. And I have a labrum tear in my left hip (secures hip socket in place). I live in daily pain, but daily pain is an understatement. Was hooked on vicoden after 1st knee surgery. Kicked that after 9 months. Nothing helps for the pain. Getting old sucks!

I wish someone told me when ever you get hurt growing up, it's 10 fold when you get older.

I waster 2yrs going to a chiropractor w/o any progress. Physical therapy w/o success also. Now I just be careful. I still snowboard when I can, I just don't do what I used to do when I was younger.

Pinched nerves in my back. Left leg goes numb and stays numb most day. Rheumatoid arthritis all over my body.

Last edited:
^^^^Same here. Pinched nerve in the neck and managed to avoid surgery for 10yrs.....so far🤪. Experience some degree of numbness is left arm daily but take OTC meds and keep rolling...just a little slower!

Keith

And if I'm gonna be standing at the counter doing anything for a long time I have a bar stool to prop my butt on.

Jim
That's why I rough chop everything. If I do soup and I want the veggies small etc - I hit it with an immersion blender once they soften. Just chopping the trinity for a gumbo sets my back off.

We're just a bunch of wore out old farts who can still outwork most youngsters these days lol.

And I still outwork all my employees lol. Except for one, guy named Louis. He's a machine. I have to tell him that he's done enough sometimes.

Pain pills of all kinds make me nauseous.

31 yrs ago I had Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, rare disorder that wiped out my red blood cells and nearly killed me. They put me on 100 mg of Prednisone for 6 months, saved my life but consequently I contracted Epidural Lipomatosis. Another rare disorder that filled my spine with a fatty substance that combined with my Stenosis, Bone Spurs and Arthritis has caused me to stop work at age 63 and now at age 68 I can only stand or walk for about 60 seconds. I don't let it get me down or stop me for doing most things it just takes a lot longer. The Dump find MES 40 with DIY PID conversion gets a lot of use. Loves this site. To paraphrase Mr Natural, "Keep on Smoking"

Mr Natural 2.jpg

Reactions: DemonPit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky