PS seasoning's cure logic.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I got my Bloody Mary snack stick kit. And the kit is for 25 pounds of meat. No biggie, they have a conversion table for 1 pound batches. I have 5 pounds of round that
will be used.
The conversion table has me shaking my head a bit. For 1 pound of meat they state 1/8 tsp of "speed cure" Which they state is pink salt. That is only 5/8 tsp. for 5 pounds. I always went by 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat.
If you buy a pack of there speed cure it states 1 oz for 25 pounds of meat. Which is 6 tsp of cure. Some of their spice blends call for more then usual amount of cure.
I'll be keeping the sticks in the fridge so I'm not overly concerned in that regard. But since it is less cure then I'm used to seeing. And I'm smoking at 160. Could that put me in the danger zone? I'm going to use 21 mm collagen casings.
For example:

Is this normal? I'm assuming it is. But you know what assuming can mean.... I'm looking at the bologna recipe and it calls for 8 and 3/4 tsp for 5 pounds?

So for the bologna they're stating 1&3/4 teaspoons of Cure #1 for one pound of meat? You know that can't be right. I'd go with one level teaspoon for five pounds of meat and call it good. I order my casings, cure, and Italian sausage seasoning from PS, never looked at their conversion chart. RAY

Hmmm, looking at a package of you bloody mary mix it says 0.06 pounds of cure for 25 lbs. which would be correct. 0.06 =27 grams, or a little over 1 gr a pound.
Looking at the mixes that use the 1.75 measure are using maple cure (at least the ones i looked at) so there will be other ingredients in the cure mix.
When I use a supplied cure I weigh it out first and divide it by the total amount of meat it's meant for. then just multiply it by the amount of meat I'm using.
Spoons don't work for me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, looking at a package of you bloody mary mix it says 0.06 pounds of cure for 25 lbs. which would be correct. 0.06 =27 grams, or a little over 1 gr a pound.
Looking at the mixes that use the 1.75 measure are using maple cure (at least the ones i looked at) so there will be other ingredients in the cure mix.
When I use a supplied cure I weigh it out first and divide it by the total amount of meat it's meant for. then just multiply it by the amount of meat I'm using.
Spoons don't work]

The package is correct. But if you go by the conversion table. Then it wouldn't be enough. 1 level tsp is considered the proper amount for 5 pounds of meat.

Some companies include their own cure mix and it is NOT always Cure #1. For this reason, with Kits we have always recommended following the manufacturers instructions. That being said, Cure #1 is safe and effective over a range of amounts used. We usually calculate Cure to 156ppm but anywhere from 80 to 200 ppm is effective.
8.75 teaspoons of Cure #1 for 5 pounds is far in excess of 200ppm. But, if that was some Proprietary Blend adding the typical 1tsp for 5lbs would be way too low. You can try contacting the company and find out what they use...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
Some companies include their own cure mix and it is NOT always Cure #1. For this reason, with Kits we have always recommended following the manufacturers instructions. That being said, Cure #1 is safe and effective over a range of amounts used. We usually calculate Cure to 156ppm but anywhere from 80 to 200 ppm is effective.
8.75 teaspoons of Cure #1 for 5 pounds is far in excess of 200ppm. But, if that was some Proprietary Blend adding the typical 1tsp for 5lbs would be way too low. You can try contacting the company and find out what they use...JJ

Their speed cure is normal cure #1 with 6.25% sodium nitrite. For the Bloody Mary kit. I'll do as the instructions say and add 5/8 tsp for 5 pounds of meat. Just went against what I've done in the past.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky