Prosciutto Di Parma-How it is made (English)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very cool. I bet that drying room smells phenomenal. I've been to Benton's in the smoky mountains. They are famous for country hams and bacon. They do old school with just salt and smoke. You can't forget that smell

Reactions: indaswamp and DougE
Very cool. I bet that drying room smells phenomenal. I've been to Benton's in the smoky mountains. They are famous for country hams and bacon. They do old school with just salt and smoke. You can't forget that smell
I know locals who still do country hams old school. The biggest problem now is finding a processor that will 1) even process hogs, and 2) more importantly, one that will scald and scrape the carcass so they have skin on hams to work with.

Help an older friend of mine who I make fresh breakfast sausage with do old school country hams in his late 1800s smokehouse. Probably a 15x15 smokehouse with a big salt box inside. Uses a ring inside with hickory sawdust to smoke. I've helped several times. Smokehouse smells great lol
20190216_181759.jpg
20190216_181805.jpg
20190216_181811.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
I bet that smokehouse really does smell awesome!! That meat looks so good!
Yeah. Over 100yr of smoked meats lol. Smells amazing. That's probably 40 hams hanging in there. I tried to introduce him to injecting cure especially around the bone a couple years ago. He laughed and basically told me to STFU. I'll never mention it again lol. It's damn good country ham

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Great posts TNJAKE!

Yeah, as long as you pack salt heavy around the bone socket and hang them properly, should have no problems.

TNJAKE TNJAKE do you have a picture of the full smokehouse? I have helped out my friend that works at the Burden Rural life museum run by LSU in Baton Rouge. They have an old smokehouse made of logs...with some of the original iron work hooks and such. It still works beautifully....

Reactions: TNJAKE
Great posts TNJAKE!

Yeah, as long as you pack salt heavy around the bone socket and hang them properly, should have no problems.

TNJAKE TNJAKE do you have a picture of the full smokehouse? I have helped out my friend that works at the Burden Rural life museum run by LSU in Baton Rouge. They have an old smokehouse made of logs...with some of the original iron work hooks and such. It still works beautifully....
I don't have a pic of the full smokehouse. I see him every couple weeks and will get one. I'll also take better pics of the inside. His is stone at the bottom. It's popular around here. We have an abundance of limestone slabs. Then just sawmill lumber. Roof is raised at the rafters for exhaust. Big salt box inside made out of stone. You can see part of it in one of the pics

The Iberico ham is around $4,500 per ham. It is the most expensive ham in the world...

Jamón Ibérico - How The Most Expensive Ham In The World Is Made

The owners at Benton is a super nice guy, my best friend was a good friend of his before he died, he took us around and showed us his place, 2 old wood stoves is where the hickory smoke is made, man strong smell for sure . I only cook the bacon outside as the smell lasts for days in the house lol

Great posts TNJAKE!

Hey Keith finally made it over to my buddies house. Here's the pics. After several beers last night we decided we are gonna fill it up with bacon this winter
IMG_20220930_165114.jpg
IMG_20220930_165104.jpg

Salt box

IMG_20220930_165201.jpg
IMG_20220930_165215.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky