Propane tanks tipping

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
The base ring on a standard 20 pound propane bottle is about half the diameter of the tank. Under best conditions (concrete floor/patio), a slight bump can cause it to tip over. Set it on stone or dirt and it will tip over if you look at it cross eyed.

A simple solution is to set it in a milk crate, makes it much more stable.  The fit is so close, you actually have to hold the crate with your feet to pull the bottle out. This little trick also comes in very handy when it's time to transport it for refilling. No more rolling around in the bed of the truck.

The base ring on a standard 20 pound propane bottle is about half the diameter of the tank. Under best conditions (concrete floor/patio), a slight bump can cause it to tip over. Set it on stone or dirt and it will tip over if you look at it cross eyed.

A simple solution is to set it in a milk crate, makes it much more stable.  The fit is so close, you actually have to hold the crate with your feet to pull the bottle out. This little trick also comes in very handy when it's time to transport it for refilling. No more rolling around in the bed of the truck.

Good idea, Jim--if you can access one of these crates, they're better than this ring, but the ring is still better than nothing:

Now, let's hope some jackwagon doesn't come along and put a couple of arrows in your arse as you alluded to earlier in the week.  Like Charlie said, don't let that get to you--there's always an idiot somewhere in the bunch.  Thanks for the idea.

EDIT:  HD has the crate on their website for $8.97, and Wallydotcom at $7.77:  ring was over $8.  Crate is the winner in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: mosparky
Another great idea Jim!

It would also keep the bottle from making a rust ring on concrete.

Al

Had to give a point for this. Great idea. Now I gotta talk the store manager into letting me have a couple from the dairy dept. I have one tank that mounts on my grill and a second for a spare (soon to be hooked to a deepfryer/smoker. This will come in real handy.

I get 'em from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have three of those crates because I have five bottles and usually do a refill run when I get down to two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky