Propane tank volume question help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darkshadow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Ontario Canada
Hello brothers. Back again as I'm finally ready to start the main portion of my build, I was going to do it last year but got my face blown off in a propane related accident!

I was then going to do my build in the winter to be ready now but my dhop was full with a paying welding side job that got me a new multi process welder ;)

Question I have as I lost my calculations, I'm doing my bill out of a 400 pound propane tank and I do not know the volume all the calculators you either need to know the volume in gallons, or it calculates it off of the square tank.

The calculators are giving me a very large firebox to cook chamber opening nearly half of my tank as it's calculating for a larger square tank not a rounded end propane tank.

My tank is 29.875x44.25 inside dimensions.

I post up a it of a build when I redo my numbers.

Oh and the volume of the tank was on the collar which is gone :(

Oh I'm aware Dave, I'm using your calculator (again) for my build, I am just trying to figure out my tank volume.

Plugging my numbers in gives me the volume of a square end tank, and not my curve end propane tank.

Does anyone know a way to get a closer true volume?

Taken from the tutorial.......

Volume of the Cook Chamber.... Use the Inside Diameter of the tank... All smoker calculations are based on the volume of the Cook Chamber....

Diameter X Diameter X 0.7854 X Length = Volume in cubic inches / 231 = Volume in gallons

29.8 x 29.8 x 0.7854 x  ~40 length =  ~27,900 cu. in.

That's close enough for a smoker build.....

Last edited:
Well I dont want to be one of the guys that couldn't get it right on paper haha!

And trying to find a happy medium, I know a larger firebox and cc/fb is far better then too small.

My plan is to Insulate the INSIDE of the cook chamber with 1000*ceramic wool and stainless ;) so I don't want it too big.

So now, with the insulation the ID of the tank will be about 27".......    How will you insulate the dome on the inside.....

I think that idea leaves something to be desired.....

The wool is a exhaust plenum fire wrap blanket.

My idea is to hold it in and line the cook chamber with polished stainless sheat I have. Dome ends will have to be formed one way or another fab chalange is all, maybe I'll think hydro foaming if I want to get crazy!!!

I'm not overly worried, just want to help add something to help with winter smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky