1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Proofer smoker conversion w/Q view

Discussion in 'Fridge/Freezer Builds' started by motoman3b, Oct 21, 2010.

1. motoman3b

motoman3b Fire Starter

It works great I get about an hour of smoke using hickory chunks,  They make a jumbo shaker that I might buy in the future to go a little longer between fillings but this isnt bad just gives me another reason to drink more beer...

2. killnsmoke

killnsmoke Smoke Blower

yeah i was going to get a jumbo one too.  sweet, thanks for the info!!

3. that is nice it looks real clean good job. I would really like to know more about the smoke injector and how it works

4. I was wondering if you have done anything else like ham ect   does the recirculating air dry the meat out?

5. I also have a proofer and am in the process of building a smoke generator like yours "awesome idea " mine is 1500 watts I'm curious about temperates does yours produce high enough , seems to me that these proofers are ideal you can dehydrate foods smoke hot and cold.

I got mine up to 220 degrees before i maxed out my thermometer.

6. dasmoke

dasmoke Newbie

is that 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe on your generator?  can you take it apart some and show us how you built it.  Looks great.

7. motoman3b

motoman3b Fire Starter

I havent tried any hams but it doesnt seem to dry stuff out too much you can always cover the air inlet on the fan a reduce the circulating air if it becomes an issue.     

the smoke generator pipe is 3/4" pipe...  I cut out a hole in the bottom of the shaker and threaded it onto a stub 3/4" pipe into the T connector then ran a longer piece of threaded 3/4" pipe into the smoker and bolted a floor flange to the inside to thread it into.  Really simple took me about 10 minutes to build

8. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice Job on the Smoker...