Proofer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wibigfish

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Looking to do a bread Proofer build. Looking to mostly cold smoke but will be running an element in it with pid controller for hot smoking as well.

Anyway, this one has a glass door and, although I prefer one with a solid door, they are hard to come buy. During hot smoking up to 350is would I be losing too much heat from the glass?

I know glass will be a pain, but I’m limited on cabinets…

Attachments

• 16A97D78-4888-49F7-B0BB-6688D6BF482E.png
    16A97D78-4888-49F7-B0BB-6688D6BF482E.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 5D2435D6-BDD1-4588-8D2A-E230298BCB33.png
    5D2435D6-BDD1-4588-8D2A-E230298BCB33.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes, you will lose a lot of heat through a glass door even if it is a thermal pane. I've burned myself on glass doored convection ovens
You will have an opaque door after your first smoke.
Being this is a proofer cabinet and not a fridge/freezer there shouldn't be a problem with insulation.
What's your thoughts for venting?. You will need airflow

Yes, you will lose a lot of heat through a glass door even if it is a thermal pane. I've burned myself on glass doored convection ovens
You will have an opaque door after your first smoke.
Being this is a proofer cabinet and not a fridge/freezer there shouldn't be a problem with insulation.
What's your thoughts for venting?. You will need airflow
Thats kind of what I thought with the glass. I know I could build a different door system, but not sure I want to go down that road, I'd rather find a complete unit. I've been looking for a warming cabinet, but those are really few and far between in my area.

For venting I didn't even think about that part yet, I figured I'd wait til I got a cabinet and then start from there and research more on this forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky