Proofer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wibigfish

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Looking to do a bread Proofer build. Looking to mostly cold smoke but will be running an element in it with pid controller for hot smoking as well.

Anyway, this one has a glass door and, although I prefer one with a solid door, they are hard to come buy. During hot smoking up to 350is would I be losing too much heat from the glass?

I know glass will be a pain, but I’m limited on cabinets…

Attachments

• 16A97D78-4888-49F7-B0BB-6688D6BF482E.png
    16A97D78-4888-49F7-B0BB-6688D6BF482E.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 5D2435D6-BDD1-4588-8D2A-E230298BCB33.png
    5D2435D6-BDD1-4588-8D2A-E230298BCB33.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes, you will lose a lot of heat through a glass door even if it is a thermal pane. I've burned myself on glass doored convection ovens
You will have an opaque door after your first smoke.
Being this is a proofer cabinet and not a fridge/freezer there shouldn't be a problem with insulation.
What's your thoughts for venting?. You will need airflow

Yes, you will lose a lot of heat through a glass door even if it is a thermal pane. I've burned myself on glass doored convection ovens
You will have an opaque door after your first smoke.
Being this is a proofer cabinet and not a fridge/freezer there shouldn't be a problem with insulation.
What's your thoughts for venting?. You will need airflow
Thats kind of what I thought with the glass. I know I could build a different door system, but not sure I want to go down that road, I'd rather find a complete unit. I've been looking for a warming cabinet, but those are really few and far between in my area.

For venting I didn't even think about that part yet, I figured I'd wait til I got a cabinet and then start from there and research more on this forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky