Programmable electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreshGround

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
My daughter and I just did our first kielbasa and we made the traditional Easter kielbasa called kielbasa biala, or white kielbasa, which is a fresh sausage so no smoking involved. I was more of a blind guide and she did all the work. And she loved it. So she went on Eric's Two Guys and a Cooler site and decided she wants to get a smoker like the one he uses for smoking sausage. He uses a Smokin-it digital electric smoker that allows you to set up a sequence of time and temperatures, so the temp can start very low and then after a period of time it goes up for another time period, up to 5 or 6 such time periods.

I found that smoker on the Smokin-it website and even the smallest one, the Model #2D, is a little pricey. So I went in search of other, hopefully less expensive, smokers with that feature but I am having a hard time find any - but it may just be a matter of not knowing what they are called. I see a lot of smokers with PID, but I never see anything in those product descriptions that describe this "programmable" feature. Is this a rare feature? What should I look for in product descriptions to identify ones that have this feature? Does anyone have specific recommendations of smokers with this feature?

Thanks to anyone who can explain all this to me.

Rich

Several of us here have just added/converted their MES electric smokers to run on PID. Their are several on Alber Instuments site that will do what you want. The function is often called ramping. I think Alber calls it programable or something. You can find PID's cheaper on fleabay and such, but be leary. Many are used and may have "secret" settings made that you may pay hell trying to un-set. Doubt any will have the customer support you can get from Auber. This can be very important if you are new to them, especially with the ramping PID's. There's a lot of button pushing involved.
I went with the WiFi model due to the ease of setting the steps with the phone app vs manually pushing buttons.

Reactions: FreshGround
No doubt about it, the smokers from SI are rather pricey, But they are great electrics. Lots of folks started with the analog smoker and added the Auber PID which after a while prompted the owner to work on integrating the PID from Auber. You could start with the analog and a cold smoker and add an Auber or home brew PID at a later date. Cookshack has digitally controlled electrics as well PS Seasonings PK series. I cannot speak about any other electrics with digital/PID controls as I have no experience with them. I have read about the BBQ GURU being very good about regulating heat on non-electric smokers. So that may be an option worth looking into. And as mentioned above, you could look into the line from Masterbuilt.

Used MES are plentiful on Craigslist. Bonus if you find one that is nearly new and malfunctioned. The guys here can help you turn it into a super-smoker at a reasonable cost.

Like others have said, most of use here with "programmable" units use electric smokers that have been retrofitted with PID Controlers.
It's a luxury not a necessity.

My 2 cents: get a masterbuilt digital smoker. You can add a PID and/or mailbox mod later on.

Also, FYI: smoked Kiełbasa is not simply Biała Kiełbasa that's been smoked. You'll need some Cure#1 in the mix for safety and flavor.
When the time comes, post a question. You'll get lots of help and recipes.

Like others have said, most of use here with "programmable" units use electric smokers that have been retrofitted with PID Controlers.
It's a luxury not a necessity.

My 2 cents: get a masterbuilt digital smoker. You can add a PID and/or mailbox mod later on.

Also, FYI: smoked Kiełbasa is not simply Biała Kiełbasa that's been smoked. You'll need some Cure#1 in the mix for safety and flavor.
When the time comes, post a question. You'll get lots of help and recipes.
I'm replying to you, but it is directed to everyone that replied. Starting with a big thank you. The Masterbuilt retrofitted with a programmable PID seems like an attractive option. I don't have the necessary skills to do this but my son-in-law does if given explicit directions. I don't want to start spending money until I see what all is needed and make sure he would be comfortable doing it. So these are my follow-up questions:

1) What models of Masterbuilt should I be looking for? I want something the size of the Smokin-it 2D or larger.

2) Which Auber model would you suggest for the programmable PID?

3) Since apparently several of you have done this, can anyone direct me to a thread, YouTube video, or elsewhere that documents, step-by-step, adding the PID to the MES (which I assume stands for Master built Electronic Smoker), preferably with detailed instructions and pictures. I want to put them in front of my son-in-law to make sure he thinks he can do it.

Beyond that, yes I know smoked kielbasa will require using a cure. In fact, I remember that when my Babci made fresh kielbasa (the only kind she could make since smoking was not practicable living in a railway flat in Brooklyn) she added some saltpeter as her cure. I imagine she used some cure because storage capabilities were limited.

But I remember when she started making it with my Mom, they used to hang it in the basement near the oil burner. The casing would dry out a bit and darken.

Unfortunately both of them are long gone so we are starting our family kielbasa project from ground zero. So I am fuzzy on details, that I hope you can fill in. I don't recall if they hung them before or after boiling - I'd guess before. I also don't know how long they hung them for, and what are the general parameters for the hanging environment.

I guess that will do for now. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing your knowledge.

Rich

tallbm tallbm has you covered.
It is as simple as removing your cover and connecting 4 wires together.

If you want to make it even easier to use, get the auber wifi model pid.

I'm replying to you, but it is directed to everyone that replied. Starting with a big thank you. The Masterbuilt retrofitted with a programmable PID seems like an attractive option. I don't have the necessary skills to do this but my son-in-law does if given explicit directions. I don't want to start spending money until I see what all is needed and make sure he would be comfortable doing it. So these are my follow-up questions:

1) What models of Masterbuilt should I be looking for? I want something the size of the Smokin-it 2D or larger.

3) Since apparently several of you have done this, can anyone direct me to a thread, YouTube video, or elsewhere that documents, step-by-step, adding the PID to the MES (which I assume stands for Master built Electronic Smoker), preferably with detailed instructions and pictures. I want to put them in front of my son-in-law to make sure he thinks he can do it.

Beyond that, yes I know smoked kielbasa will require using a cure. In fact, I remember that when my Babci made fresh kielbasa (the only kind she could make since smoking was not practicable living in a railway flat in Brooklyn) she added some saltpeter as her cure. I imagine she used some cure because storage capabilities were limited.

But I remember when she started making it with my Mom, they used to hang it in the basement near the oil burner. The casing would dry out a bit and darken.

Unfortunately both of them are long gone so we are starting our family kielbasa project from ground zero. So I am fuzzy on details, that I hope you can fill in. I don't recall if they hung them before or after boiling - I'd guess before. I also don't know how long they hung them for, and what are the general parameters for the hanging environment.

I guess that will do for now. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing your knowledge.

Rich

Here are answers to your questions.

A: Ringer Ringer has you covered with the Analog model. You dont have to rewire that thing at all, you just plug it right into the PID controller.
The downside is that it is NOT insulated at all, not even a little bit so that may cause some issues for you depending on where you live and how cold it gets... heck no insulation may cause issues period.

Next models are the "digital" ones. The Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smokers, abbreviated as MES units.
They come in 30" size (MES30) and 40" size (MES40).

The MES models are extremely well insulated and their physical makeup is fantastic.
I would suggest the MES40 based on being bigger than a SmokinIt 2D.
The MES40 can fit a whole rack of ribs or about a 15 pound whole packer Brisket, and big turkeys (25-28lb are larges I've done in mine).
The MES30 cannot fit any of the meats that sized mentioned above, and you will have to cut ribs in half or by 3/4 to get them to fit on a rack.

Which is the best???
I think a free or $40-50 MES40 you find on Facebook or Craigslist is the best of all the options. Even if there are problems with the electronics that is not a problem since the rewire cuts all that out. The heating element just needs to work and that can be replaced for less than $30 so its still economical with a bad heating element :)
I wouldn't buy a brand new one simply because I always see MES40's available 2nd hand for cheap in the Dallas, TX area.
I have gotten 1 for my mother and 1 for my brother this way. No more than $40 for either. I confirm that they heat up with the seller, pay for them, then take them to the car wash and spray down the inside and let them dry and then rewire and slap a PID on :)

A: This model would handle all 3 masterbuilt Smokers (Analog, MES30, and MES40) and is the least expensive plug and play option https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=110
You can get fancier from there with wifi etc. Basically if the model number is 1500 or higher on the Auber it "should" work but check the specs that it can handle 15Amps at 120V and you should be good up for these smokers.

A: Ringer Ringer has you covered as well and I'll repeat the link here. It is super detailed with pictures on an MES rewire (30 or 40 have the same design so the guide works for both). The Masterbuilt Analogue unit needs no rewire at all, just turn the temp dial to max on the plug and it is good to go with an Auber PID.

Simply you get to the circuit board underneath/bottom side of the smoker. Cut the ends off 4 wires and splice the correct wires to make 2 whole wires. This now makes electricity flow from the plug directly to the heating element while keeping the safety temp switch wired in. Simple :)

(splice 1 & 4, then 2 & 3)
full?d=1507263359.png

1: The MES 30 digital, or analog should be a good size for you.

Inside dimensions of the Smokin It 2 are 15" wide x 15" deep x 20" tall
The MES30: 15″ wide 13″ deep, 26.5" tall
If you want something a bit bigger, get the MES40

2: This is the PID I have

3: Another vote for tallbm tallbm and Ringer Ringer rewiring instructions if you do get the digital MES.
If you get the analog MES, it's plug & play as far as the electrical setup is concerned
The trade-off is all the physical mods that the unit requires. Here's a link to my recent post about it.

4: Try these recipes. There are a lot of recipes there in general and Polish ones specifically. But start with these. Simple, delicious, and traditional.

Once again, thank you to everyone who responded.

If I am understanding this right, if I go with an analog smoker there is no wiring involved if I get a plug and play controller. I have a beer cooler that I am turning into a drying chamber and I'm using an inkbird temperature controller. It plugs into the wall and then the cooler plugs into controller. The controller cycles power off and on to maintain the temp I've set. It was very easy to set up.

It sounds like a plug and play PID controller would do the same thing, cycle power going to the smoker off and on to maintain the programmed temperature. If so then this is the way for me because the thought of doing even the simplest wiring gives me the willies. I'd imagine I'll pay a premium for plug and play. I was looking at the AW-WST1510H-W and for 225 it looks like it will do exactly what I want.

Also, the point about the analog model not being insulated is well taken. I live in AZ just outside of Phoenix, so am I correct in my inference that lack of insulation wouldn't be a problem?

Once again, thank you all for your thoughts and advice. You are all a great resource.

Rich

Reactions: Ringer
That plug and play is a pretty good deal, I am currently self building me a Auber ramping/soak PID control for my heat treat oven and you will only be saving your self 70 bills or so and you won’t get that nice interface that one comes with.

If I am understanding this right, if I go with an analog smoker there is no wiring involved if I get a plug and play controller
That is correct

It sounds like a plug and play PID controller would ... cycle power going to the smoker off and on to maintain the programmed temperature
Essentially yes, but PIDs are a bit smarter than that. It's more like a dimmer switch than an on/off swtich.

I'd imagine I'll pay a premium for plug and play
The MES analog is cheaper then the MES digital. So, you'll actually be saving a few bucks by going plug and play by getting the cheaper smoker. But yes, the plug and play PIDs are more expensive.

I was looking at the AW-WST1510H-W and for 225 it looks like it will do exactly what I want.
Looks like a solid plan. Thats a nice PID and is good for 1800W, so it'll work with any masterbuilt.

I live in AZ just outside of Phoenix, so am I correct in my inference that lack of insulation wouldn't be a problem?
You'll not be baking turkeys at 400°F. But it'll be nice and stable up to around 300°F with modest loads of food.

Good luck. Let us know how things go

Once again, thank you to everyone who responded.

If I am understanding this right, if I go with an analog smoker there is no wiring involved if I get a plug and play controller. I have a beer cooler that I am turning into a drying chamber and I'm using an inkbird temperature controller. It plugs into the wall and then the cooler plugs into controller. The controller cycles power off and on to maintain the temp I've set. It was very easy to set up.

It sounds like a plug and play PID controller would do the same thing, cycle power going to the smoker off and on to maintain the programmed temperature. If so then this is the way for me because the thought of doing even the simplest wiring gives me the willies. I'd imagine I'll pay a premium for plug and play. I was looking at the AW-WST1510H-W and for 225 it looks like it will do exactly what I want.

Also, the point about the analog model not being insulated is well taken. I live in AZ just outside of Phoenix, so am I correct in my inference that lack of insulation wouldn't be a problem?

Once again, thank you all for your thoughts and advice. You are all a great resource.

Rich

I think P PolishDeli has you well covered with answers.

I understand the concern about wiring. If you can cut a wire and use a wire nut then that is all skill needed for the rewire. Stating this in case you run across a free MES30 or MES40 and figure to save a few dollars.

Without installation I think you will be fine for most smokes in AZ. The only tricky situation may be if you do a pork butt or a brisket overnight (my recommendation, sleep while cooking). At this point if your nights drop drastically the smoker may have problems holding temp.
You could always buy some of that mylar bubble or fiberglass insulation or a welding blanket type item and just wrap the smoker from the outside to give it insulation in these times. Guys have done it and posted great results about doing so.

The cool thing is you have options.
Options with smoker units.
Options with PID controllers.
The main differences between that Inkbird you have and one of these Auber PIDS is that the Auber can handle the wattage you need for a smoker AND it is super precise. It will hold within 1-3 degrees with your smoker which is important when doing sausage, bacon, and items that can't really tolerate temp spikes or inaccurate temps.

Looks like you have some decisions to make :D

One more question. There wasn't much on Craigslist so I was looking at new analog Masterbuilts. There seems to be 2 different 30 inch analog smokers. One has 3 racks and a 1500 watt heating element, and the other has 2 racks, an 1800 watt heating element, and is slightly smaller. (models MB20070210 and MB20077618) respectively. The prices on Amazon are $176 and $127 respectively respectively. As far as I can tell the differences are (210 number first)

Price: $176 v $127
racks: 3 v 2, making it 536 sq. in. cooking area v 354
heating element: 1500 watt v 1800 watt
temp control: on the power cord v built into the unit
and cosmetically they look different, so it doesn't seem to be a case of essentially the same unit with some feature differences.

Am I missing anything? Is there a significant functional difference between the 1500 and 1800 watt heating elements, and why would the 1800 be in the cheaper unit? In every other respect the 210 seems like a better choice:

more cooking space,
if the temp controller goes bad easier to buy replacement cord/controller than having to get inside the unit to fix
it looks nicer (I'm a shallow person, LOL)

So, any other words of wisdom? Between the smoker and the controller I'm looking at under $500 compared to the $939 for the smokin-it with wifi, so that's great.

Thanks again for all the awesome advice. I've been navigating completely foreign territory and you guys have been great guides.

Reactions: PolishDeli
MB20070210 is what I currently use. So far I'm happy with it.

I have 0 experience with the MB20077618 and I cannot find it on Masterbuilt's website, so it's maybe been discontinued.

These two units look to be fundamentaly the same: i.e. 30in analog electric cabinet smokers from Masterbuilt. The key differences you've already identified.
My thoughts:
•1800W will get you hotter faster.
• having 3 vs 2 racks is nice, even though I never load up that much food. • the 210 looks cooler.

I'd go with the 210, but again I'm biased, and there doesn't really seem to be a meaningful difference between the two models.

One more question. There wasn't much on Craigslist so I was looking at new analog Masterbuilts. There seems to be 2 different 30 inch analog smokers. One has 3 racks and a 1500 watt heating element, and the other has 2 racks, an 1800 watt heating element, and is slightly smaller. (models MB20070210 and MB20077618) respectively. The prices on Amazon are $176 and $127 respectively respectively. As far as I can tell the differences are (210 number first)

Price: $176 v $127
racks: 3 v 2, making it 536 sq. in. cooking area v 354
heating element: 1500 watt v 1800 watt
temp control: on the power cord v built into the unit
and cosmetically they look different, so it doesn't seem to be a case of essentially the same unit with some feature differences.

Am I missing anything? Is there a significant functional difference between the 1500 and 1800 watt heating elements, and why would the 1800 be in the cheaper unit? In every other respect the 210 seems like a better choice:

more cooking space,
if the temp controller goes bad easier to buy replacement cord/controller than having to get inside the unit to fix
it looks nicer (I'm a shallow person, LOL)

So, any other words of wisdom? Between the smoker and the controller I'm looking at under $500 compared to the $939 for the smokin-it with wifi, so that's great.

Thanks again for all the awesome advice. I've been navigating completely foreign territory and you guys have been great guides.
So I think I would go with the 1500W element.
Simply for practicality.
See the 1800W element will be pulling 15 Amps.
The way your home outlets are wired there is a chance that the outlet you use for the smoker is on a breaker with other outlets powering other devices and appliances. If your smoker hits full 15Amp pull for the 1800Watt element and the other devices/appliances are pulling 5Aamps total you could be flipping the breaker all the time which is not going to work for you.

SOOOoooo, you have a better chance of the 1500W element not flipping your breaker than the 1800W element.

If you had a single dedicated outlet wired to the breaker box just for this smoker then I would go with the 1800W element.

Both units are basically the same size and if you need to add or change its rack configuration you can simply screw angle aluminum to the walls to make rack holders and get some more racks:

Also understand that these 30 inch analog unites likely will not fit a whole rack of ribs and such. That may not be a concern for you but is for many of us.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
I would go with the 1500W element
I agree . That's plenty of power in my opinion . I'm just guessing they are 1500 and 1800 because it's a non insulated unit , and I think you said you're in a warmer climate .
Someone just did a thread on Modding one . Did a nice job on it .
Maybe it was P PolishDeli .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky