Processing Week 2022...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We always share our meat with daughter and SIL also. Loins and tenders are all packaged, do alot of jerky from roasts. Wanna do some pastrami and dried venison too in near future! Maybe someday will get better processing facilities... can't remember if it's you or tallbm tallbm has the cooler with rail system but that would be nice. I do have a car hoist which works great to use for skinning and quartering but shop is full and my Mustang is on it! Lol.

Ryan
I wish I had cooler with a rail system. Deer place I last hunted had it. It's freakin awesome for holdin the deer and then breaking them down for the ice coolers :)

I wish I had cooler with a rail system. Deer place I last hunted had it. It's freakin awesome for holdin the deer and then breaking them down for the ice coolers :)
That must be where I remember seeing it.

Ryan

For those that don't know ... food for thought ...

Processing slaughtered meats .. hanging and aging time.
Fig. 1.1. Effect of rigor mortis. Times for onset and resolution of rigor
...........................Time to onset of rigor .............Time for resolution of rigor
Cattle ......................12 - 24 hours ................................2 - 10 days
Pigs ..........................6 - 12 hours ...................................1 - 2 days
Lamb...................... 7 - 8 hours ......................................1 day
Turkey ....................½ - 2 hours.................................... 6 - 24 hours
Chicken................. ½ - 1 hours .......................................4 - 6 hours
Rabbit ..................12 - 20 hours .....................................2 - 7 days
Venison ...............24 - 36 hours ....................................6 - 14 days
Looking at the above data, it becomes conclusive that the aging process is more important for animals which are older at the slaughter time (cattle, venison). Warm meat of a freshly slaughtered animal exhibits the highest quality and juiciness.
Unfortunately, there is a very narrow window of opportunity for processing it. The slaughter house and the meat plant must be located within the same building to be effective. Meat that we buy in a supermarket has already been aged by a packing house.
If an animal carcass is cooled too rapidly (below 50° F, 10° C) before the onset of the rigor (within 10 hours), the muscles may contract which results in tough meat when cooked. This is known as “cold shortening.” To prevent this the carcass is kept at room temperature for some hours to accelerate rigor and then aged at between 30-41° F, (-1 - 5° C).

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 51-83). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

Reactions: BC Buck and tallbm
Thanks for posting that daveomak daveomak . My doe has been iced going on 13 days...going to break it down today while I smoke goose tasso and chicken leg quarters...

Not cold enough here to hang, and I don't have a walk-in, so best I can do is in scent free trash bags on ice. I drain the water off often so the ice never touches the meat.

Reactions: daveomak
Well...I have returned from the deer camp. Add another 3 deer to the tally. That's 15 deer as of now. The kids each shot a doe and one of the kids shot a nice little 8 point. The does weighed 120-140lbs. and the little buck was about the same size. This was the kids first buck, he has had buck fever pretty bad and was shook up so bad he could not shoot the first three opportunities he had at bucks. But he got it done on this little 8 pt.

I'll post pics. when I get them.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Well...I have returned from the deer camp. Add another 3 deer to the tally. That's 15 deer as of now. The kids each shot a doe and one of the kids shot a nice little 8 point. The does weighed 120-140lbs. and the little buck was about the same size. This was the kids first buck, he has had buck fever pretty bad and was shook up so bad he could not shoot the first three opportunities he had at bucks. But he got it done on this little 8 pt.

I'll post pics. when I get them.

Hahaha that is great to hear! Especially about the kid getting over the buck fever to finally take that 8pt!

The more he does it the better he'll get with it. I'm sure if they get him on a bunch of hogs repeatedly it will greatly help with the buck fever :)

For those that don't know ... food for thought ...

Processing slaughtered meats .. hanging and aging time.
Fig. 1.1. Effect of rigor mortis. Times for onset and resolution of rigor
...........................Time to onset of rigor .............Time for resolution of rigor
Cattle ......................12 - 24 hours ................................2 - 10 days
Pigs ..........................6 - 12 hours ...................................1 - 2 days
Lamb...................... 7 - 8 hours ......................................1 day
Turkey ....................½ - 2 hours.................................... 6 - 24 hours
Chicken................. ½ - 1 hours .......................................4 - 6 hours
Rabbit ..................12 - 20 hours .....................................2 - 7 days
Venison ...............24 - 36 hours ....................................6 - 14 days
Looking at the above data, it becomes conclusive that the aging process is more important for animals which are older at the slaughter time (cattle, venison). Warm meat of a freshly slaughtered animal exhibits the highest quality and juiciness.
Unfortunately, there is a very narrow window of opportunity for processing it. The slaughter house and the meat plant must be located within the same building to be effective. Meat that we buy in a supermarket has already been aged by a packing house.
If an animal carcass is cooled too rapidly (below 50° F, 10° C) before the onset of the rigor (within 10 hours), the muscles may contract which results in tough meat when cooked. This is known as “cold shortening.” To prevent this the carcass is kept at room temperature for some hours to accelerate rigor and then aged at between 30-41° F, (-1 - 5° C).

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 51-83). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.
I'm embarrassed to tell this but work schedule and high temps where the factor on how long are deer hung. Could not understand why a year old deer chewed like rubber band and 8 year old was delightful. Once started paying attention to ageing process was night and day difference. This is good info to bookmark. Thanks.

Reactions: daveomak
Well...Cousin went to the deer camp Thursday morning. Shot a big doe Thursday afternoon. Got on stand this morning and shot this funky buck...
IMG_1404.jpg

That makes 17 or 18 deer this season so far for processing day.

Last edited:
Your not going to have any seed for next year if you keep mowing them down 😀 just kidding and nice shooting. A couple of the bucks sure have some funky racks. Lots of fighters with broken tines it looks like too. Good job lots of good eating

Your not going to have any seed for next year if you keep mowing them down 😀 just kidding and nice shooting. A couple of the bucks sure have some funky racks. Lots of fighters with broken tines it looks like too. Good job lots of good eating
Thanks. My cousin is going out with a bang laying them down. Yeah, lot of funky broke racks. The timber companies have been doing a lot of pine cutting around us, and our cutovers are growing up so we are holding more deer than last season. I miscounted the deer tally...my cousin had killed another funky rack buck on at a different club. So with this buck and the 4 my buddy killed on crop tags in Georgia, we have 20 deer for processing day...so far.

Funky rack but still good eating. Looks like it's going to be a busy processing day for you and your crew

Reactions: indaswamp
Getting rid of the gnarly horned deer I see :D

Well, today I will be helping my cousin debone the 3 deer he took over the last few days. Cold day so will be prefect for it. He is on shift at the firehouse so we plan on putting a deer Mississippi pot roast on all day while we are busy with the deer. We'll nail down a definite date for processing day 2022 but it's looking like it'll be February 12th.

Reactions: tallbm
Just bought 175# of pork butts on sale for $1.39/#....really good looking butts from a high end grocer that had a good sale. Called my cousin to see how much pork he needed and went ahead and got his too while I was there. Got enough pork for a big 120# run of 50/50 wild hog/ commercial hog smoke sausage. Gonna use up some of the 140# of wild hog meat I have on hand. Will smoke that after processing day.

Gonna be a heck of a processing day I'm looking forward to the pics

Add two more does to the tally. Nephew shot a big doe, and my Uncle that is a new member in the club shot a big doe as well so that's 22 deer for processing day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky