Processing peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
Has this happened in your area around here none of the stores have any peppers for Subs, Hogies and the like has been like 6 months? So, my plan is to grow some cherry peppers and make my own. Does anyone have a processing recipe to store on shelf not the fridge. I know oil and vinegar is there any other steps?

Warren

Reactions: JLeonard
Lots of pepper products missing on the shelves over the last 6-12 months. I think you'd have to pickle them first, then put them in oil. Just an oil vinegar mix wouldn't drop the pH low enough to be shelf stable.

I did some searching and found this:

Claims to have had it tested (I've never seen the site before so can't confirm how legit it is), but it makes sense in my head. Could always grab some pH test strips and check what the oil/pepper solution is after a few days to be sure.

Last edited:
Lots of pepper products missing on the shelves over the last 6-12 months. I think you'd have to pickle them first, then put them in oil. Just an oil vinegar mix wouldn't drop the pH low enough to be shelf stable.

I did some searching and found this:

Claims to have had it tested (I've never seen the site before so can't confirm how legit it is), but it makes sense in my head. Could always grab some pH test strips and check what the oil/pepper solution is after a few days to be sure.
This is how my Noni taught me how to put up homegrown peppers.
And as far as I can tell, I'm still kick'in.

Try this site for options

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky