Probably screwed this up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I am smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork, only second one I have done. I probably did the first one wrong, it's not in my notes at least.

Problem is I put probe in at start, won't do that again, and after 3 hours the IT is only 90°. I wasn't paying enough attention to time, working in yard. Was smoking at 230 for first 2.5 hours, saw a problem with not gaining enough and turned up to 280.

How high can I go to get to 140 in an hour, or is it hopeless. That's 50° IT in 60 minutes.

At the stall 153°

PXL_20220604_213623772.jpg

Didn't seem to have much liquid in drip pan. Will mix it with broth when I finish in the morning.

Problem is I put probe in at start, won't do that again, and after 3 hours the IT is only 90°.
I wouldn't call it a problem since I used to do the same thing, and nobody ever got food poisoning from my Q, so you're fine. Back then, I was under the assumption that you had four hours to get the IT to 140°, but learned that that's not correct on an intact muscle. As long as the surface temp gets there in 4 hours you're good to go.

I no longer insert any temp probes until well into the cook on large pieces of meat for a couple reasons. I don't see any point in risking the introduction of surface bacteria into the muscle, and I don't really need to know what the IT is until the meat is toward the end of the cook so I know when to start probing for tenderness.

Reactions: Nefarious
I guess I'm missing something here.

If after 3 hours at 230 the IT is only 90 I'd be more concerned that you have a bad probe than anything else.And if the probe is good was the shoulder previously frozen and was it fully thawed?

If after 3 hours at 230 the IT is only 90 I'd be more concerned that you have a bad probe than anything else.And if the probe is good was the shoulder previously frozen and was it fully thawed?
He didn't say how big it was, either. If it's an 8~9 pounder, 140° IT in 4 hours ain't happening at 230° and not likely at 275°, but maybe.

He didn't say how big it was, either. If it's an 8~9 pounder, 140° IT in 4 hours ain't happening at 230° and not likely at 275°, but maybe.

For me personally I've never had an issue achieving 130-140 IT at 235-250 on both bone-in and boneless butts/shoulders within 3hrs in my MES or WSM.When I first smoked a butt/shoulder I was scared it would be done hours early.

And I've always inserted probe(s) at the start of the smoke too.

Sorry, wasn't trying to give all of the info. I just was reading a couple of ancient posts that said if probe put in early, like I did, then you only have 4 hours to get to IT 140°. The meat went from fridge at 37°, not frozen. The probe is good, I just started slow.

Thanks for your response. I didn't weigh it. I just started from a 37° fridge and tried to go slow.

Sorry, wasn't trying to give all of the info. I just was reading a couple of ancient posts that said if probe put in early, like I did, then you only have 4 hours to get to IT 140°. The meat went from fridge at 37°, not frozen. The probe is good, I just started slow.
Nah, you're fine, just be aware that on larger pieces of meat, 140° IT in 4 hours won't happen, which is fine so long as the external temp. does get there. I just don't insert probes early in the cook to avoid any potential contamination to the inside of the muscle. Maybe I'm over cautious, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than go the other way.

Nah, you're fine, just be aware that on larger pieces of meat, 140° IT in 4 hours won't happen, which is fine so long as the external temp. does get there. I just don't insert probes early in the cook to avoid any potential contamination to the inside of the muscle. Maybe I'm over cautious, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than go the other way.
Thanks, I wrote that in my notes this time. "wait for 3 hours to insert probe". There is no need to prove early except for curiosity. This is only my second shoulder so don't have it all figured out yet.

Reactions: DougE
None of us have everything all figured out; I sure don't, but experience will get you a long way.
So, I had to go to an event with wife and drink some good WA wines. I have the shoulder in the fridge after it got to 154° and stall. I need to finish in oven tonight or smoker tomorrow morning.

If in oven, at what temp should oven be? My thought was 250 and let it ride till 200 and start probing for tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky