• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Prime Rib

matthew smith

Joined Dec 25, 2013
Can anyone tell me if they have tried searing a prime rib on the grill before smoking ? I did this before by seasoning it the 12/24 hours before . Next morning rubbing it with olive oil and searing on a 500 degree grill on all sides then putting it in the smoker for a couple hours . Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Thanks !

demosthenes9

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 2, 2013

What you've described will work fine. A reverse sear, however, might work as well or perhaps even better. Check this thread out http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/154985/smokin-it-prime-rib-for-christmas

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Yep, my vote would be the reverse sear.   Searing at the outset generally results in a fairly wide band of brown/grey over cooked edges of the Prime Rib.

Similar to this:

Doing a reverse sear would give you a similar crust on the outside, but with better edge to edge color and temp uniformity.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.