• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Prime Rib Under Done

COJeff

Joined Feb 6, 2019
I smoked a small prime rib roast a few months back, and I'm not sure why this come out the way that it did. I smoked to 125degF, but this seems way under done for this temperature. Where did I go wrong?

srrtacFl.jpg

D.W.

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 13, 2018
I'm going to assume you are not trolling.. Both pics look absolutely perfect, you even achieved your ideal doneness on the cap. Coast-to-coast

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Depending on the smoker temp, 225 vs 300+, you will get 5°-10° of carryover.
If your Rested IT was 125, that meat is a Perfect Rare, 120-125. Med/Rare is 130-135...JJ

COJeff

Joined Feb 6, 2019
I'm going to assume you are not trolling.. Both pics look absolutely perfect, you even achieved your ideal doneness on the cap. Coast-to-coast
Not trolling, I followed Malcom Reed, and my color was not close to what he got. Pretty sure he stated 125degF

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
That is the perfect color for Beef that hit 125, after a rest.
If you Pulled the beef from the smoker at 125, check your Therm Accuracy and think about your Thermometer Placement...If the Thermometer was not Centered or not Deep enough, it will read Higher than the actual meats center. Same if the Tip was in the tasty Fat running along the Ribeye... Been There, Done That! The Head Chef was Not Happy!...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.