Prime Rib Under Done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

COJeff

Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
I smoked a small prime rib roast a few months back, and I'm not sure why this come out the way that it did. I smoked to 125degF, but this seems way under done for this temperature. Where did I go wrong?

srrtacFl.jpg

I'm going to assume you are not trolling.. Both pics look absolutely perfect, you even achieved your ideal doneness on the cap. Coast-to-coast

Depending on the smoker temp, 225 vs 300+, you will get 5°-10° of carryover.
If your Rested IT was 125, that meat is a Perfect Rare, 120-125. Med/Rare is 130-135...JJ

That can be fixed easy enough, just heat it in pan with broth or au jus if not done to your liking.

Ryan

Reactions: MJB05615
I'm going to assume you are not trolling.. Both pics look absolutely perfect, you even achieved your ideal doneness on the cap. Coast-to-coast
Not trolling, I followed Malcom Reed, and my color was not close to what he got. Pretty sure he stated 125degF

That is the perfect color for Beef that hit 125, after a rest.
If you Pulled the beef from the smoker at 125, check your Therm Accuracy and think about your Thermometer Placement...If the Thermometer was not Centered or not Deep enough, it will read Higher than the actual meats center. Same if the Tip was in the tasty Fat running along the Ribeye... Been There, Done That! The Head Chef was Not Happy!...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky