• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Prime Rib: Too Much

pne123

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 3, 2007
I purchased a 3 rib prime rib approx 10 lbs. Plans have changed and I have too much.
In your opinion would it be better to cut in half and freeze or smoke the whole thing and then freeze half?

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I would freeze half raw. Cuz I like it medium rare and thawed medium rare reheated can be a challenge...I suppose you could sous vide it...

pne123

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 3, 2007
Yes, that is what I was thinking also plus I get to drink at the smoker when doing the second half.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I might opt for removing the bones and freezing them for later, then cutting 2 or 3 nice steaks for the freezer, and cooking the half-roast boneless.

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Same thing here, with a 4 bone ... bones off and freezing separately for making au jus (though considering making that now and freeze in my souped cubes trays), cutting about 2/3 for when we (eventually) have 2 friends coming to visit, slicing the remainder into a few steaks.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.