Prime Rib Roast, Fried Mashed Potatoes, Biscuits, Pound Cake, and Fatty Benedict

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyboys

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Southeastern PA
So, with bitter cold temps and snow showers in the forecast today, I got my honey do list done yesterday and decided to make today a cooking and smoking day.  I received a rib roast as a gift last week and thawed it out.  I forgot about the bulk sausage I had in the freezer, so that was a nice unplanned addition.  A quick trip to the supermarket this morning for some potatoes and the games begun!  Just me and the classic rock station in the kitchen all day.  Nothing like cooking to a little Boston to get your blood flowing.

I was thinking about what kind of fatty to make when eggs benedict popped into my head.  I'll explain more of that later.

First, I fried up a pack of bacon for the mashed potatoes and the fatty.

While the bacon was getting happy, I peeled a 5lb bag of gold potatoes.

After peeling, I quartered them and cooked them in a pot of boiling water for about 35 minutes, until they were fork tender.  I then drained them and put them in the mixer.  I added one pack of Philly cream cheese, 2 sticks of butter, 3/4 cup of half and half, a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese, some crushed bacon, and the grease left over from the bacon.  Ran the mixer until it was all nice and creamy.  Then off to the fridge to cool down so it could be fried up tonight.  More on that later too.

Next, I began working on the fatty.  I scrambled up some eggs with the rest of the crushed bacon, some Franks hot sauce and some more cheddar cheese.  When it was done, I let it cool so it could be rolled in the fatty.

Next, I made some hollandaise sauce for the fatty.  This is a pain to make, so I didn't get any pics of the process.  I took 8 egg yolks and placed them in a stainless steel bowl.  I added 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and whisked it until it about doubled in size.  While this was going on, I brought a small pot of water to a simmer on the stove and melted 1 cup of butter in the microwave.  I then took the bowl and placed it on top of the pot of simmering water to act kind of as a double boiler.  I whisked continuously while adding the melted butter until it was thickened and doubled in size again.  This is where you really have to be careful because you don't want the eggs to cook.  I also added a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Next it was time to start paying some attention to the star of the evening.

He is about 4 ribs in size.  This was from a steer that someone had ordered, so it is going to be good!  It was in butcher paper with no tag and I never bothered to weigh it.  I covered it with Worcestershire sauce and rubbed it down with a homemade lonestar rub.  

While the rub was settling in, I got to work on the sausage.  Flattened it out in a freezer bag, placed the eggs and bacon on it, placed more cheddar cheese on it and rolled it up.  What about the hollandaise sauce you say, just wait.

Now, into the 240° MES 30 they go with thin blue hickory smoke rolling courtesy of the AMNPS.  I also got a chance to try out my new iGrill thermometer.  Pretty cool!  Boiling water test was 212 on the nose.  BTW, the fatty is on a small cookie sheet with some parchment paper because I put too much of the eggs in it and it was busting through.

Now, while the meats are getting happy, onto dessert.  Sour cream poundcake.  1 cup butter, 6 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, all at room temp for 30 mins.  3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda combined together.  2 cups of sugar in the mixer bowl and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.  I mixed the butter with the sugar at med-high speed until it was nice and fluffy, about 10 minutes.  I then added the vanilla.  Next, one egg at a time.  Mixed on medium speed for 60 seconds after each egg.  Then I alternated the sour cream and flour mixture on a low speed until it was just mixed.  After that, into a greased and floured fluted tube pan and into the oven for about an hour at 325°.  Once it was done, I dusted it with powdered sugar.

While that was cooking, I got to work on the biscuits.  1 stick cold butter, 2 1/4 cups four, 1 1/4 cups buttermilk.  I mixed the butter and flour together in a mixer until it had the consistency of peas.  I then added the buttermilk, folded a few times on the counter and cut the shapes with a cup.  I baked them at 450° for 13 minutes.

About the time I was done that, the fatty hit 160, so off the smoker it came.  Now, here is why it's a fatty benedict.  I wrapped it in phylo dough, seamed it together with beaten egg, cut slits in the top for steam to escape and put it in a 400° oven for 15 minutes.  Once it was done, I sliced it and put the hollandaise sauce on top of it.  It was awesome!  Everyone loved it.

Now, on to round two for the mashed potatoes which were nice and cool now.  I formed some patties, dipped in flour, then egg, then Italian bread crumbs.  I then dropped them into a pan full of canola oil, because I wanted to be healthy hahaha, and fried them up.  They came out crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.  Another hit with the kids!

Now, for the star of the show.  I pulled the prime rib off the smoker at 132° and let it rest under some aluminum foil and a towel for a while.  I removed the ribs for a later snack for me and sliced the roast.

The roast was tender as expected.  The rub complimented the roast perfectly, not to mention the light smoke taste from the hickory.  The slices were fork tender and melted in your mouth.  I wish we could have this every night.  This was my first prime rib roast and I am ecstatic with the results!  The rest are some q-view of the roast with some bearview thrown in.  Thanks for looking!

That rib looks good, but that fattie looks awesome.

To bad eggs are not allowed in the house.

Holey schmoley, flyboys! What an amazing day in the kitchen......I'm still picking my jaw off the floor!!!

I'm very impressed at the meal you put together. I would definitely like to give your mashed potato cakes and your fatty benedict a try. Thanks for kicking these up a notch or two!!!

Great job and great post! :yahoo:

Clarissa

That rib looks good, but that fattie looks awesome.

To bad eggs are not allowed in the house.

Thanks c farmer! Egg substitute maybe?

Got alot going on there. Great job.

Thanks bmudd! Was a long but rewarding day.

Wow! Nice work!

Thank you Woodcutter!

Holey schmoley, flyboys! What an amazing day in the kitchen......I'm still picking my jaw off the floor!!!

I'm very impressed at the meal you put together. I would definitely like to give your mashed potato cakes and your fatty benedict a try. Thanks for kicking these up a notch or two!!!

Great job and great post! :yahoo:

Clarissa

Thank you Clarissa! They were actually pretty easy to make. The kids liked them more than the prime rib, I'll be making them again for sure!

Smoking, baking, cooking. I bow to a master of the kitchen.

points1.png

Disco

Smoking, baking, cooking. I bow to a master of the kitchen.
:points1:

Disco

Thank you Disco, that was really kind of you! But the only thing I've mastered is how to search this site and learn from other peoples posts. I've subscribed to a few of your threads as well so I can always refer to them. So I in turn bow to you! I was happy with my dinner tonight, but it all came from knowledge and techniques that I have learned here.

Man you really went all in! Huge effort:drool . Great bit of (actually a really big bit) of cooking:439:

Thank you Moikel! It was all worthwhile to have a nice meal with the entire family.

[quote name="WaywardSwede"
url="/t/152265/prime-rib-roast-fried-mashed-potatoes-biscuits-pound-cake-and-fatty-benedict#post_1088510"]Wow.

"I wish we could have this every night."

Right, me too. Awesome job, busy day in the kitchen![/quote]

Thank you Waywardswede!

"Here's a thread I did a few years ago detailing a healthy smoke. I do a lot of boneless skinless breasts for the health benefits. Top and bottom rounds can be done too and taste really good." ~ Fanboys

I am guessing this wasn't that linked thread?

Wow, I can't believe you kept us in suspense over taters! Man it all looks great, I have tried the store bought Phyo and have never had much success with it.

Outstanding Menu, I am still full from my supper and it still looks too too good.

I bet ya gain 5 pounds just walking by the reefer that held those potatoes! Totally awesome, not belittling anything else but you put a whole dairy on over time. LOL.....

Excellent job, really a great day in the kitchen, now did your bride run in and do all the cleaning for you? <chuckles>

Thanks Foamheart! Nope, this was definitely not that link! I could actually hear myself getting fatter after dinner last night. The rest of the fatty for breakfast this morning probably didn't help either.
I gave my bride a break yesterday, I just cleaned up as I went. When we sat down to eat, everything was just about cleaned and put away. Happy wife, happy life.
I've wrapped a few things in the phylo dough. I always cut it to size, cut slits in it and then brush it with egg. 400 for 15 mins and it usually turns out good.

Dude.....you have set the bar to a new height. Outstanding kitchen work....truly outstanding. The taters are probably on everybodys 'to do' list now & I'm thinking Filo dough sales are gonna shoot up as well. I've done leftover smashed tater cakes on a griddle with great results but dropping them in a skillet of sizzling oil never crossed my mind. The PR looks done to perfection, glistening with natural juices. Smart man, cleaning as you go.....makes it soooo much easier on everybody. Now, I'm off to find my tube pan and go get me some sour cream.....thanks for the inspiration.....Willie

Man
That was a fantastic meal.  But I gotta tell you, the taters...................oh my
Gary

Thank you Gary!

Dude.....you have set the bar to a new height. Outstanding kitchen work....truly outstanding. The taters are probably on everybodys 'to do' list now & I'm thinking Filo dough sales are gonna shoot up as well. I've done leftover smashed tater cakes on a griddle with great results but dropping them in a skillet of sizzling oil never crossed my mind. The PR looks done to perfection, glistening with natural juices. Smart man, cleaning as you go.....makes it soooo much easier on everybody. Now, I'm off to find my tube pan and go get me some sour cream.....thanks for the inspiration.....Willie

Thank you Chef Willie! That means a lot coming from you. How was your pound cake?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky