PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think I need to check the temp of my smoker. Put a 9.5lb prime rib in at 10AM and it was up to 134° by 2pm..............I was beside myself!!  Well, I noticed by 1:00 or so when I put my (sterilized) probe in that it was already about 118°. At that point I turned the smoker down to 180° then about 15 minutes later after I found that it was still climbing too quickly, I turned it down again to 150°. It continued to climb and I could not believe it was up to 134° by just after 2pm. So I brought it in, foiled it and wrapped it in two towels. It soared up to 141° (perfection IMO) and now it's 4pm and it's still wrapped and holding 140°. Should still be warm in an hour or so when we go to eat. I have to figure this out to better estimate my cooking time. The last one I did was probably half the size of this one and it went pretty quick too but I figured since this one was bigger it would take a fair bit longer.

Let me ask: Doing two - #10 standing rib roasts for New Years Eve. I want IT of about 140 degrees. I have a 20 minute drive to serve it. I am thinking of pulling it at 130 then wrap it foiling, cooler it, and drive fast! What do you think??

Thanks in advance!

Well if it's anything like the 9.5 pounder sitting on my counter right now, foiled and wrapped in two towels, it's been sitting around 140 for a good hour and a half to two hours. Pulled it off the smoker just after 2pm..........I think you'll be fine without even driving fast. Judging on my last two I'd pull it a little higher than 130, the one today I pulled at 134 and it went up to 141.

I think I need to check the temp of my smoker. Put a 9.5lb prime rib in at 10AM and it was up to 134° by 2pm..............I was beside myself!!  Well, I noticed by 1:00 or so when I put my (sterilized) probe in that it was already about 118°. At that point I turned the smoker down to 180° then about 15 minutes later after I found that it was still climbing too quickly, I turned it down again to 150°. It continued to climb and I could not believe it was up to 134° by just after 2pm. So I brought it in, foiled it and wrapped it in two towels. It soared up to 141° (perfection IMO) and now it's 4pm and it's still wrapped and holding 140°. Should still be warm in an hour or so when we go to eat. I have to figure this out to better estimate my cooking time. The last one I did was probably half the size of this one and it went pretty quick too but I figured since this one was bigger it would take a fair bit longer.
Inno, it all depends on what is meant by "bigger".   Cook times for PR are determined by starting IT temp, chamber temp and GIRTH of the PR, not overall weight of the loin.    Whether you have a 3 bone PR or a whole 7 bone PR, the cook time will be roughly the same.

Gotcha, I wondered if that might be the reason. Makes sense. I think I just need to start out at a slightly lower temperature. All mine have been thawed and go from being spiced and wrapped in the fridge overnight, straight out to the smoker.

Gotcha, I wondered if that might be the reason. Makes sense. I think I just need to start out at a slightly lower temperature. All mine have been thawed and go from being spiced and wrapped in the fridge overnight, straight out to the smoker.
That's what I always do, because In want it to take a long time, to get more smoke on. None of my meat ever stops to rest on the counter top, before going into the smoker. You didn't say what your starting smoker temp was.

Bear

Let me ask: Doing two - #10 standing rib roasts for New Years Eve. I want IT of about 140 degrees. I have a 20 minute drive to serve it. I am thinking of pulling it at 130 then wrap it foiling, cooler it, and drive fast! What do you think??

Thanks in advance!
Like Inno said, wrap that baby in foil, then a towel or two, and into a cooler, and take your time driving with all of the once a year drinkers on the road.

Bear

Like Inno said, wrap that baby in foil, then a towel or two, and into a cooler, and take your time driving with all of the once a year drinkers on the road.

Bear
Yeah, I can't stand "Amateur Week" either LOL

Besides, if people are gonna drink, they should stay at home and drink around the smoker like the rest of us
yahoo.gif

Last edited:
This looks so amazing that I thawed a 5 pounder I had in the freezer and I am going to try it tomorrow. I am going to be smoking with a masterbuilt propane smoker but I don't have an a-maze-n smoke generator so I was wondering how many hours of smoke I should put on this because I would hate to over smoke it! Thanks

This looks so amazing that I thawed a 5 pounder I had in the freezer and I am going to try it tomorrow. I am going to be smoking with a masterbuilt propane smoker but I don't have an a-maze-n smoke generator so I was wondering how many hours of smoke I should put on this because I would hate to over smoke it! Thanks
Don't worry about how long----Worry about "Too Heavy".

I smoke everything for the whole time it's in the smoker, except while it's foiled (Ribs, Butts, Brisket, etc), but I keep it light.

Many hours of light or Medium-light is Great, but only a short time in heavy white or yellow smoke is bad.

Bear

Actually, the issue isn't so much the bacteria. The critters will die at temperature. It's the other stuff. Think  germ poop!!!! 

I talked to the FDA, agriculture guys, both in the US & Canada. My question was basically... Why does it matter how long meat sits in that "unsafe zone" where bacteria could multiply?. If once it's cooked, they are going to die, regardless of how many are there.  What I was told, is that it's not the bacteria that is the issue, but more so their waste. That stuff (spores, chemical residue...)is not necessarily going to be neutralized by the heat of cooking. That's the bits that will make you sick.

Actually, the issue isn't so much the bacteria. The critters will die at temperature. It's the other stuff. Think  germ poop!!!! 

I talked to the FDA, agriculture guys, both in the US & Canada. My question was basically... Why does it matter how long meat sits in that "unsafe zone" where bacteria could multiply?. If once it's cooked, they are going to die, regardless of how many are there.  What I was told, is that it's not the bacteria that is the issue, but more so their waste. That stuff (spores, chemical residue...)is not necessarily going to be neutralized by the heat of cooking. That's the bits that will make you sick.
Thanks AK1 !!

You're right. That's why I usually say "Nasties", because it's other toxic substances formed by the bacteria, or something like that.

Too hard to explain, so I just say "Nasties". The main point is that there are some Nasties that aren't killed inside of meat by taking the IT to 145*, 180*, or even 200*.

Bear

Spent a lot of time in the restaurant industry.  We are lucky here in Pittsburgh PA to have a fabulous health department in Allegheny County.  They require each establishment to have certified food safety individuals on staff.  I was previously certified but am no longer in the industry.  You attend 2 days of their classes and take an exam to become certified. 

If you ever took that course you would not believe the common food handling mistakes people make each day.  Have any friends that seem to have a 24 hour flu often?  If so, don't eat any of their pot luck dishes.  They ain't getting the flu, they are giving themselves food poisoning quite often.

Spent a lot of time in the restaurant industry.  We are lucky here in Pittsburgh PA to have a fabulous health department in Allegheny County.  They require each establishment to have certified food safety individuals on staff.  I was previously certified but am no longer in the industry.  You attend 2 days of their classes and take an exam to become certified. 

If you ever took that course you would not believe the common food handling mistakes people make each day.  Have any friends that seem to have a 24 hour flu often?  If so, don't eat any of their pot luck dishes.  They ain't getting the flu, they are giving themselves food poisoning quite often.
Thanks Yotzee!!

I've hear about the "24 hour flu" before.

Good info to have.

Bear

Ok...here goes... Followed your recommendations exactly Bear. Even have the same time table pretty much. Got the smoker started around noon. Unwrapped the rib roast...

Nice hickory smoke going around 12:30 and smoker holding between 220 and 225. So I put the rib roast in....

Thanks again for the step by steps as they are really helpful when doing a new meat for the first time! I'll update with some pics later!

Ok...here goes... Followed your recommendations exactly Bear. Even have the same time table pretty much. Got the smoker started around noon. Unwrapped the rib roast...

Nice hickory smoke going around 12:30 and smoker holding between 220 and 225. So I put the rib roast in....

Thanks again for the step by steps as they are really helpful when doing a new meat for the first time! I'll update with some pics later!
Thank You!!

Looks like a Great start !!

I even use them over & over, because I can't remember what worked perfect, without writing it down.

Bear

Here's a picture of the roast right off the smoker. Took it off at 133... Wrapped it in foil, towels , and threw it in a cooler because dinner wasn't going to be for an hour or so.

[

Here it is after a nap in the cooler:

And finally here is the sliced and plated result with some spaghetti with garlic and oil on the side...as well as my second helping.

I have to say it was incredible. It was like nothing I have ever tasted and in the best way imaginable. The hickory smoke gives it a bacon-like flavor. Like some bizare love child of a cow and a pig. hahaha. Everyone loved it! Thanks again Bear!

Here's a picture of the roast right off the smoker. Took it off at 133... Wrapped it in foil, towels , and threw it in a cooler because dinner wasn't going to be for an hour or so.

I have to say it was incredible. It was like nothing I have ever tasted and in the best way imaginable. The hickory smoke gives it a bacon-like flavor. Like some bizare love child of a cow and a pig. hahaha. Everyone loved it! Thanks again Bear!
Thank You!!!

I'm glad you liked it !!

It looks Perfect !!

And as for your "The hickory smoke gives it a bacon-like flavor. Like some bizarre love child of a cow and a pig."

That would be the Famous "Bacon-Cheeseburger"------Step by Step below:!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/112078/bacon-cheeseburger-step-by-step

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky