PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I will admit everything looks great.  A very fine piece of meat.  Just one thought.  You have such an awesome piece of meat and you put canned green beans on the plate with it.  Something not right about that.

I will admit everything looks great.  A very fine piece of meat.  Just one thought.  You have such an awesome piece of meat and you put canned green beans on the plate with it.  Something not right about that.
Oh Well, I'm doing better. Up until about 10 years ago I ate Meat & Potatoes, and NO Veggies!!

So yes, I'm not picky when it comes to Veggies.

When other kids would be eating candy & chips, my Son ( starting when he was 5 yrs old) was eating canned green beans cold right out of the can.

Bear

Need to bring this back to the top. I've now done two using this exact method and it is amaz-z-z-ing!! I've got one rubbed and wrapped right now for supper this evening. Gonna fire up the MES 30 probably around 11am or so.

Need to bring this back to the top. I've now done two using this exact method and it is amaz-z-z-ing!! I've got one rubbed and wrapped right now for supper this evening. Gonna fire up the MES 30 probably around 11am or so.
Thanks!

I'm glad you like it.

I loved Prime Rib since I had my first one in 1968.

However I never dreamed they could be as good as these smoked Prime Ribs are.

I only have one left in my freezer, but I have to smoke it soon, because the local sale ($4.99) is the week before Christmas.

Bear

Hey BearCarver, hope you are continuing to mend. I'm going for it this Thanksgiving. Can't find the thick Worcestershire sauce, but not a big deal. Can I marinate for loner than 24hrs, so I can prep the rib on Tuesday and not Wed? Also it is a 7.75lbder, I should focus on IT and not just the time factor right? Going to do Chef Jimmy J's AuJus, so will be on a rack. You don't put any liquid in your's at all according to the recipe. Traeger recommends it so I'm gonna just mix the 2 recipes and see how it comes out. Will post qvies for all to see. Wish me luck. Thanks for the inspiration!

I also could not find the thick Worcestershire sauce so I have just used the regular thin stuff, and while I have nothing to compare it to, I think it turns out great. When I'm cooking any meat, I always go for IT because cooking times vary so much. I will ballpark the time just so I know about what time to put it on but usually end up being early or late due to IT. I did one this past weekend and it only took 3.5 hours and I had planned for 5. By supper time it was still warm enough that it didn't need reheating.

Hey BearCarver, hope you are continuing to mend. I'm going for it this Thanksgiving. Can't find the thick Worcestershire sauce, but not a big deal. Can I marinate for loner than 24hrs, so I can prep the rib on Tuesday and not Wed? Also it is a 7.75lbder, I should focus on IT and not just the time factor right? Going to do Chef Jimmy J's AuJus, so will be on a rack. You don't put any liquid in your's at all according to the recipe. Traeger recommends it so I'm gonna just mix the 2 recipes and see how it comes out. Will post qvies for all to see. Wish me luck. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thank You PB !!!

I don't see a big problem marinating for more than 24 hours. 2 days should be OK.

Yes go by IT, and if you want it pink all the way from bark to bark, don't go above 250*-260* smoker temp (I usually use 220* or 230*).

I don't use liquid, because I don't want the flavor washed out on the bottom. If you do use liquid, you should put a wire cooling rack under the roast, in the pan (see pic below).

Bear

Note the cooling rack keeping the Prime Rib from laying in the juice:

Last edited:

I also could not find the thick Worcestershire sauce so I have just used the regular thin stuff, and while I have nothing to compare it to, I think it turns out great. When I'm cooking any meat, I always go for IT because cooking times vary so much. I will ballpark the time just so I know about what time to put it on but usually end up being early or late due to IT. I did one this past weekend and it only took 3.5 hours and I had planned for 5. By supper time it was still warm enough that it didn't need reheating.
The only thing better about the Worcestershire "Thick" is it doesn't run down the sides of the roast as bad, when you apply it.

Yours went a little faster than mine because you used 260*, instead of 220* smoker temp----No big deal, but for pink all the way across, I wouldn't go higher than 260*.  260* is fine, but I use 220* to get a little more smoke time.

Bear

The only thing better about the Worcestershire "Thick" is it doesn't run down the sides of the roast as bad, when you apply it.

Yours went a little faster than mine because you used 260*, instead of 220* smoker temp----No big deal, but for pink all the way across, I wouldn't go higher than 260*.  260* is fine, but I use 220* to get a little more smoke time.

Bear
Actually I started the smoker at 260° and set it back to 230° when I put the meat in. Because it was such a cold, windy day I don't think it stayed up at 260 for too long, if it ever got there. 230° seemed to be holding quite well. I was shocked at how quickly it went..........sure as heck, the next one will take twice as long. Even more reason to go by IT!

Actually I started the smoker at 260° and set it back to 230° when I put the meat in. Because it was such a cold, windy day I don't think it stayed up at 260 for too long, if it ever got there. 230° seemed to be holding quite well. I was shocked at how quickly it went..........sure as heck, the next one will take twice as long. Even more reason to go by IT!
If you keep on eye on the PR and see that it is cooking "too fast" for your time table, you can usually turn the temp down without hurting it. I've "stalled" several of them in the past by dropping the temp down around 180.

WRT time tables themselves,  bear in mind that you have to take the meat's starting temperature into account when figuring out cook times.  When I first ran across Bear's PR threads, it boggled my mind that he smoked his PR for 4 hours or so as mine are done in 2 hours or thereabouts.      Turns out that this is largely due to the fact that I let my PR come close to room temp before putting it in the smoker.

If you keep on eye on the PR and see that it is cooking "too fast" for your time table, you can usually turn the temp down without hurting it. I've "stalled" several of them in the past by dropping the temp down around 180.

WRT time tables themselves,  bear in mind that you have to take the meat's starting temperature into account when figuring out cook times.  When I first ran across Bear's PR threads, it boggled my mind that he smoked his PR for 4 hours or so as mine are done in 2 hours or thereabouts.      Turns out that this is largely due to the fact that I let my PR come close to room temp before putting it in the smoker.
Adjusting the smoker temp up and down between 180* and 260* won't hurt anything, as long as it wasn't injected or temp probed too early.

Same thing with letting it set out on the counter, however I go directly from fridge to smoker, unless I need to get a pellicle going on something I cured.

Believe it or not, there is usually a method to my madness.

Bear

Adjusting the smoker temp up and down between 180* and 260* won't hurt anything, as long as it wasn't injected or temp probed too early.

Same thing with letting it set out on the counter, however I go directly from fridge to smoker, unless I need to get a pellicle going on something I cured.

Believe it or not, there is usually a method to my madness.

Bear
Yep yep.   And there's definitely nothing wrong with either your methods or your madness   :)

I will be smoking my first prime rib next week and I am definitely using this method !!! I will use Dimitris bloody Mary seasoning instead of worchestershire sauce. Can't wait !!!

I will be smoking my first prime rib next week and I am definitely using this method !!! I will use Dimitris bloody Mary seasoning instead of worchestershire sauce. Can't wait !!!
Thanks Jake!!

Sounds Great !!  Any questions, give me a yell, and let me know how you like it !!

Bear

Temp probed too early?  What gives? I usually stick the probe in when I put the meat in the smoker, and don't move it until it gets close to done. Is this a prime rib thing, or everything

Temp probed too early?  What gives? I usually stick the probe in when I put the meat in the smoker, and don't move it until it gets close to done. Is this a prime rib thing, or everything
Bacteria only lives on the exposed surface of raw meat.  By doing this you are pushing any bacteria on the outside of the meat into the inside of the meat.  By letting the outside cook off the bacteria before inserting the probe, you avoid contaminating the inner flesh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky