Prime Rib Cook Time Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sladerummel

Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
South Dakota
I have done a few prime ribs in my day but, I was asked to smoke the prime rib for my wife's work Christmas party this weekend. They ordered 30lbs of rib roast. I don't know exactly how big the roasts will come, but I am assuming they will be around 7-8 lbs. They are eating around 6 pm and I was wondering when I need to get them started. I understand I can pull them a little early and wrap in foil and towels for a couple hours and they will raise to the desired temp. My main question is how much time would you think it would take smoke four 8lb rib roasts at 235 degrees or so?

I just did one last weekend at 225 degrees.  The roast was around 5.5lbs  and it took about 4.5 hours to get to an IT of 140.  I know thats not as direct of an answer you were hoping for but  i am still fairly new to this.  Hope it helps ya a little though and good luck with it. 

You may try searching Another Prime Rib (Hickory Smoked) by Bearcarver. He posted his smoke a few weeks ago and listed some temp and IT times. He knocked it outta the park. Been a while since I done one though waiting for Super Bowl Sunday for one. Check out that post or some others, hope this helps ya. Good luck, I'am sure you'll nail it ! WHB

I did 3 - 10lbers New Years Day for dinner at my in-laws. Just so happens I smoked them at 235. It 5.5 hours and I pulled and foiled them at 135. They were great! Almost perfect. I think pulling them a 132 and they would have been perfect.

Search Bear"s Prime Rib New Best Ever thread...follow his step by step and just adjust the cooking times for the size of your roast. I did it just after Christmas and it was incredible. Mine finished a couple of hours before my friends and family came over and I wrapped it in foil, towels, and stuck it Ina cooler...came out still hot and juicy. I will never cook a prime rib any other way...You will love it!

I did 3 - 10lbers New Years Day for dinner at my in-laws. Just so happens I smoked them at 235. It 5.5 hours and I pulled and foiled them at 135. They were great! Almost perfect. I think pulling them a 132 and they would have been perfect.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I assume this was all on one smoker right?

Thank you all for your replies!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky