Prime Rib (Best ever)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear - Did you have the roast sitting in any kind of drip pan? Or just on the rack? What happens to all the juice that sweats out?
I never set anything in a pan that I want real smokey.

However, like I said, I put this roast on the second shelf, and a foil pan right under it, on the third shelf. That way I could catch any drippings, without blocking any smoke.

As it ended up, as you can see in the slicing pics, I had more than enough juice. I also saved what was in the foil from holding it, for when I reheated the left-over slices. Mrs Bear isn't crazy about eating left-overs, so it was ALL ALL ALL for ME ME ME !!!!! 
icon_cool.gif

Thanks,

Bear

I had to come back and check out how you did this and what you paid for it. I was at Publix this morning and they had

choice standing rib roasts for 5.99. I will be going back in the morning to pick one up. The Woman is convinced I am obsessed.

I think the 14.64 pound bellie and large butt I came in with earlier today made her think that.

Prime rib is her favorite chunk of meat and she's kinda leery about smoking it and still being very rare.

I may not run the IT as high as you did.

She sez "Is this the same fellow who convinced you to fill the freezer with that delicious bacon?"

Bear, what is CBP?  Also, what portions of the seasonings did you use?  What type of wood did you use in the AMNS?

Bill

I had to come back and check out how you did this and what you paid for it. I was at Publix this morning and they had

choice standing rib roasts for 5.99. I will be going back in the morning to pick one up. The Woman is convinced I am obsessed.

I think the 14.64 pound bellie and large butt I came in with earlier today made her think that.

Prime rib is her favorite chunk of meat and she's kinda leery about smoking it and still being very rare.

I may not run the IT as high as you did.

She sez "Is this the same fellow who convinced you to fill the freezer with that delicious bacon?"
Uh Oh---Now I'm a marked man!!!

I guess it's better for her to blame me than you, considering our locations. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Well done, definately will try this myself, looks great.
Thanks CWeb

Bear, what is CBP?  Also, what portions of the seasonings did you use?  What type of wood did you use in the AMNS?

Bill
"Crushed Black Pepper" (I just use my pepper mill grinder).

I don't really measure the black pepper, garlic powder & onion powder.

Let's say a good coating of the pepper, and half as much of each of the other two.

I used Cherry on this guy. That was great--I'll use Cherry on my next Prime Rib too.

Bear

Bill
 Cracked Black Pepper
OOOOPS, hhookk is right----CRACKED---Not CRUSHED (I forgot).

Mines probably closer to crushed though, because I set my mill pretty tight.

Hello I'm a newbie & I don't know all the acronyms such as CBP & AMNS Thank you for any help David

Bear, That's one fine looking prime rib. Just the way I like it too! Still waiting for them to go on sale around here.

Bear, That's one fine looking prime rib. Just the way I like it too! Still waiting for them to go on sale around here.

Thanks Al!

A few weeks ago they had them here (Choice) for $5.99 (cheapest I've seen for a year), so I had them cut me 4 roasts at 5+ pounds each.

Then the following week they went to $4.99. I never saw them that cheap around here!

Oh well, I'm still happy with the price I paid.

Bear

Absolutely amizing looking brother!  I'm looking to do a rib roast for the Super Bowl, seeing that I may not be able to wait two weeks!  This will be my first one.
Thanks JMK,

Go for it, but make sure you post some Qview of it.

The next best thing to eating a beautiful Prime Rib is gazing at one.

I would say number two would be smelling one, but I couldn't stand to smell one, without being able to eat it!

Bear

Hey Bear (or anyone else for that matter), if you don't mind, here was my plan, I don't have the AMNS:

I'll keep the rub pretty simple- onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and bit of cayanne for some heat.  I was going to put a pan below with some beef broth for drippings.  I'm hoping it will pick up some smoke as well to save for later.

Pre-heat to about 300 to get the grates nice and hot (I like hot grates to keep it from sticking) then back it down to 250-260 when I'm ready for the meat to go in.  I was going to use a 70/30 mix of cherry/hickory.  when the temp hits 125 or so foil it and kill the smoke.  At this point I would usually crank the temp if I were roasting.  I like a good bark on my rib roast.  I will wait until the time comes and make my call at that point.  I'll be looking for a final temp of 145-150.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Bear (or anyone else for that matter), if you don't mind, here was my plan, I don't have the AMNS:

I'll keep the rub pretty simple- onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and bit of cayanne for some heat.  I was going to put a pan below with some beef broth for drippings.  I'm hoping it will pick up some smoke as well to save for later.

Pre-heat to about 300 to get the grates nice and hot (I like hot grates to keep it from sticking) then back it down to 250-260 when I'm ready for the meat to go in.  I was going to use a 70/30 mix of cherry/hickory.  when the temp hits 125 or so foil it and kill the smoke.  At this point I would usually crank the temp if I were roasting.  I like a good bark on my rib roast.  I will wait until the time comes and make my call at that point.  I'll be looking for a final temp of 145-150.

Thanks everyone!
Everything sounds OK, but there is no reason to foil it. I only did that to hold it until Supper time. 

The lesser cuts of meat are usually foiled to make them more tender & juicy.

No need to make a Prime Rib tender and juicy---It already is.

If you want 145˚ to 150˚, I'd probably kill the heat at around 137˚ to 139˚.

If it's not time to eat yet, then do your covering until it is.

If it's time to eat, I'd still cover it for 15 minutes to a half hour, before slicing.

Bear

Thanks Bear, great advice!

I usually let my rib roasts rest 30-45 minutes before I cut.  I'll be making this for a Super Bowl party so I'm thinking of slicing for sandwiches so I may let it sit for a bit longer to cool.  Should go great with some homemade Kaisers and horse radish sauce!

Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!

Thanks Bear, great advice!

I usually let my rib roasts rest 30-45 minutes before I cut.  I'll be making this for a Super Bowl party so I'm thinking of slicing for sandwiches so I may let it sit for a bit longer to cool.  Should go great with some homemade Kaisers and horse radish sauce!

Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!
You're gonna be the Hero at that party, no matter who wins the game!!!

It's nice of the Steelers to give us Pennsylvanians a second chance at the big dance.

Packers can't beat both PA teams in the same year!

Time will tell.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky