Prime n ready!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

f1bags

Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
Arlington, Texas
Evening everyone. This is my first thread, other than roll call so hope I'm getting this started right.
I currently have a Prime packer brisket(from Sams) rubbed down and sitting in the fridge. I trimmed(a good amount on top and left 1/4 fat on the bottom/flat. I then patted her dry and dashed some Meat Church Holy Cow on it for overnight.
I will be waking early to heat up a little charcoal/wood in my CGSP then throw her in. I have no mods other than an IQ110 I attached to the inlet vent and love.
I have smoked only about 4 briskets and want to pay a little more attention this time. Not that I didn't in the past but just want to hit the details i may have forgotten in previous times. Other than the temp control fan, I have a Maverick wireless thermometer set to watch over IT and Grill temp. I haven't used a water pan in this grill but plan to this time, placing it right by the opening to the FB and will have a drip pan with a half onion with minced garlic, butter and a beef bouillon cube I saw on a recent thread.
I of course plan to keep it around 225 until IT of about 160 then decide whether to wrap or not to the 190-200 range then will wrap, towel and throw in cooler to rest for a couple hours before serving.
If anything I'm missing, please let me know and I included a couple pics of cut fat, meat after trimming then after rub was put on.
Wish me luck!
20200116_200538.jpg 20200116_200538.jpg 20200116_200550.jpg 20200116_200611.jpg 20200117_172455.jpg

I would put some of that fat on top of the meat,to keep it from drying out. Just my 2 pennies
Richie

Reactions: f1bags
Unfortunately I had thrown away the fat before I had seen your replies. I definitely made note of it for next time though! The IT is right at about 165 right now so deciding if I should wrap or not. If I don't wrap, how long would y'all take a random guess that it would take to get to 190-200 vs if I do wrap it?

Unfortunately I had thrown away the fat before I had seen your replies. I definitely made note of it for next time though! The IT is right at about 165 right now so deciding if I should wrap or not. If I don't wrap, how long would y'all take a random guess that it would take to get to 190-200 vs if I do wrap it?
Without the fat you chance drying that out,IMHO wrap with some beef broth,chicken broth what ever you have.Start probing for tenderness at around 190°F Good luck post it when it is done hope this helps
Richie

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Wrap it. The point of wrapping is to stop the stall. Otherwise, you could go another 5 hours or so, your choice. I wrap them.

Thanks guys. I wrapped it n threw some chicken broth in(didn't have any beef). It was def unevenly cooked too due I'm sure to the known issues with that CGSP. Guess I need to get some sheet metal fabricated next time. Still cooking though, just spun it around n waiting for 200.

Well, got her done. Really happy with the ring, tenderness n taste! Always something to work on though and as much as anything, I think this time was preparing more Time. Seasoning was good and temp control was pretty good, just have to even it out thru the grill better n I'll get those fat trimmings on the warming rack above the meat next time.
Pics below
20200118_194311.jpg 20200118_195721.jpg 20200118_195744.jpg 20200118_195737.jpg 20200118_200907.jpg

Geez Bags, sorry I missed this till just now. Looks pretty good to me, a couple more slices on that plate and I'd be ready to dig in, Like! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky