Prick Summer Sausage Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hydrostan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
We always prick natural casings, however we are not sure about collagen etc. casings. We used to prick them before putting them into the smoker. We tried smoking without pricking them, and I did not notice any difference.

Should we or shouldn't we

HS, I only prick a casing where I have a large air pocket. Smoke will penetrate if you dry your sausage for an hour or so at 110-120* with no smoke and the dampers open w/out pricking your casings

last batch of sticks, using 21mm collagen casings, when I pricked the casing, it immediately tore when I picked it up... No more... I remove all the air from the stuffer and tube, then stuff, keeping the casing full....
I use the super thin, easy bite through casings..

One of the fears I had was that I once read somewhere that if you don't prick them, all the fat will run to the bottom of the casing. I didn't notice that happening on our last batch

If your fat is running you're temps are to hot. keep them down below 170-175°

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky