Pricing out Brisket - Yeesh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here in saskatchewan costco just started selling brisket. Prime brisket $10.99 /kg. Works out to exactly $5/lb which is $3.78 usd . So same price as our southern friends. My butcher sells for $6.78 but he trims the fat off and will sell you as much as you want as well as point or flat if you only want one or the other. Chuck is about the same price(called blade roast here in canada)

Reactions: Little-m
Very nice! I wouldnt pay 2X as much for someone else to trim or cut down. I did in the beginning and it was not worth it at all. trimmed flats cooked alone was all i did for years - then found out that was the hard way. The Full Packer is WAY easier and cheaper. I would grab a prime FP for 3.78 all day long.

Totally agree on finding other less popular things. IE chicken wings are like $4/here. I use drums instead and under $1/lb. Tri-tip is considered no fail brisket so that is another option for you to look for.

Reactions: jcam222
Here in saskatchewan costco just started selling brisket. Prime brisket $10.99 /kg. Works out to exactly $5/lb which is $3.78 usd . So same price as our southern friends. My butcher sells for $6.78 but he trims the fat off and will sell you as much as you want as well as point or flat if you only want one or the other. Chuck is about the same price(called blade roast here in canada)

So Chuck = Blade. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Totally agree on finding other less popular things. IE chicken wings are like $4/here. I use drums instead and under $1/lb. Tri-tip is considered no fail brisket so that is another option for you to look for.

I saw my very first Tri tip when I went shopping for the brisket. That too is not seen in the bigger stores around here, and if memory serves, wasn't too cheap either. Still, the butcher does stock it so I can get it whenever I want.

Mark

There is a decent butcher local to me (Hamilton, ON) that puts AA brisket on for $4.99/LB occasionally and another one that does same price for A grade fairly regularly. Felt a little iffy trying the A grade ones at first but have had great success with them and didn’t notice a significant difference the time I scored a AA grade.

In general though, yeah I always feel envious for the prices our pals south of us get cuts for as well as the availability/selection. I watch the sales every week and strike when the iron is hot, helps to have a good sized chest freezer too.

it is a awesome site. i usually see it from the canadian side cause i live about 1.5 hours from there in ontario. great pics
Absolutely agree. Clod is my go to for beef anymore. Not only is it cheaper the trimming loss is far less. I get it at $2.99 / lbs. at GFS and I’d guess lose less than 10% trimming. The pulled from the small end and slices from ther large end are excellent.

Reactions: zwiller
Absolutely agree. Clod is my go to for beef anymore. Not only is it cheaper the trimming loss is far less. I get it at $2.99 / lbs. at GFS and I’d guess lose less than 10% trimming. The pulled from the small end and slices from ther large end are excellent.

That's encouraging but don't remember seeing at mine. Will check, thanks! I do remember pork cushion there for $1.50 or so. Plan to try that on some sausage.

There is a decent butcher local to me (Hamilton, ON) that puts AA brisket on for $4.99/LB occasionally and another one that does same price for A grade fairly regularly. Felt a little iffy trying the A grade ones at first but have had great success with them and didn’t notice a significant difference the time I scored a AA grade.

In general though, yeah I always feel envious for the prices our pals south of us get cuts for as well as the availability/selection. I watch the sales every week and strike when the iron is hot, helps to have a good sized chest freezer too.

I'm biting the bullet and getting a Costco card. Though it isn't much of a bullet since I receive a $10 in store coupon plus an additional $40 coupon for an online purchase. So that means I'm only spending $10 on it. Here's hoping I can find something decently priced there.

Reactions: tallbm

That wouldn't be Highland Packers, would it? :emoji_wink:
I really like shopping there for most meat purchases. As an aside, I was in Costco ( Ancaster ) on the weekend and they had briskets @ $4.80 a pound. Picked up a 10 pounder.

I really like shopping there for most meat purchases. As an aside, I was in Costco ( Ancaster ) on the weekend and they had briskets @ $4.80 a pound. Picked up a 10 pounder.

I went to the one here - nothing. Just Sirloin tip and Sirloin top. You are lucky.

I went to the one here - nothing. Just Sirloin tip and Sirloin top. You are lucky.

I’m in CT, this summer I looked for one a few times at places I’ve bought them before (Costco and Walmart), and got shut out.

I can get big chuck roasts pretty easily so I’ve smoked them a lot.

Here in Winnipeg, brisket isn't usually seen in the big grocery stores, so I thought I'd swing by a butcher to snag one. I keep reading the raves here so I wanted to try it. The woman presented me with one that had about 2 inches cut from the tip. No biggie I figured since it was a fair size anyway.

Then she presented me with a $91 bill - Gah! I almost fell over. I asked why our southern neighbours get it so cheap and was told that American beef is corn fed and ours is not.

Needless to say, I won't be getting a brisket anytime soon. So what do you folks south of 49 pay for your briskets?

Usuall 25- 40 bucks for a good one i Texas by San Antonio

Good to know Ben. Yes I was referring to Highland and VG on Centennial is the place that occasionally has AA on for $4.99.

We have a pal who gets stuff for us at Costco regularly and she swears up and down they don’t have Briskets there, but I feel it’s one of those things where if I looked with my own eyes I’d zero in on em inside of 6 seconds. I don’t think she has the required Spidey senses for big slabs of beef. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Ben58
I hear you. I've learned for Costco you have to look carefully as they seem to like moving things around so you might buy something not on your list. Costco even had pork bellies!.

I’ve been wondering, with fast food places (arby’s And Subway at least) starting to offer brisket, are we going to see a price jump due to demand?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky