Pricing out Brisket - Yeesh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Little-m

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Winnipeg
Here in Winnipeg, brisket isn't usually seen in the big grocery stores, so I thought I'd swing by a butcher to snag one. I keep reading the raves here so I wanted to try it. The woman presented me with one that had about 2 inches cut from the tip. No biggie I figured since it was a fair size anyway.

Then she presented me with a $91 bill - Gah! I almost fell over. I asked why our southern neighbours get it so cheap and was told that American beef is corn fed and ours is not.

Needless to say, I won't be getting a brisket anytime soon. So what do you folks south of 49 pay for your briskets?

Just paid $3.79 an LB for a prime full packer at Costco. $51 for a 13.5 pounder. I used to buy all my meat at my butcher - they are great and they have good meat but I cant justify paying what they charge. I buy everything at Costco now. some cuts are half the butch costs...

corn fed, grass fed, I don't care give me a fair price. did the package say grass fed! i'll bet there is a lot of US beef in Canada as there is Canadian beef in the US.

Just paid $3.79 an LB for a prime full packer at Costco. $51 for a 13.5 pounder. I used to buy all my meat at my butcher - they are great and they have good meat but I cant justify paying what they charge. I buy everything at Costco now. some cuts are half the butch costs...

Interesting. I *think* the cut I was shown was about 16 pounds. So at $51 that is a good price then? Honestly, I thought American brisket was cheaper than that since it seems to be so popular...

corn fed, grass fed, I don't care give me a fair price. did the package say grass fed! i'll bet there is a lot of US beef in Canada as there is Canadian beef in the US.

I agree. I'm not sure if that is a justification for the higher prices or not.

$5.70 a pound is in the ball park for my butcher - does Canada have Costco or Sams club anything like that?

$5.70 a pound is in the ball park for my butcher - does Canada have Costco or Sams club anything like that?

Costco is here but not Sams. I don't have a membership though. I believe the butcher quoted me a bit under $7 a pound, so it would be relative to the $5.70 yours charges you. I say this because $1USD = $1,000CAD lol.

Around here brisket goes for $3-13/lb, no quality difference at all just depends on how bad they want to hang on to them I guess.

Have you checked Walmart? They have decent brisket for a decent price around here, usually around $4/lb whenever I have bought them there

If you're buying from the butcher , un-packed and trimmed , you're paying for the labor to do so . Buying whole un-trimmed meat is a different thing , and price .

Also , I hunt in an area known as " Cow town USA " I don't see any corn as feed . All grass fed .

Around here brisket goes for $3-13/lb, no quality difference at all just depends on how bad they want to hang on to them I guess.

Have you checked Walmart? They have decent brisket for a decent price around here, usually around $4/lb whenever I have bought them there

The Walmarts here aren't full fledged groceries. The bigger stores don't normally stock briskets. In fact, the large store near me had brisket for sale once about 3 weeks ago - they never had it before, ever.

Depends. Walmart will sell choice but for $1.69/pound for various periods of time.

Other places will go on sale between $1.99/pound to 2.50/pound all choice cuts.

Costco here will have primes for $3.60-$3.75 a pound all the time.

In general grocery stores when not on sale choice will be between $3.25-$3.50+ a pound all day.

We have it good here in Texas... must be why people have been POURING into the state non-stop for the past 5 years lol :emoji_blush:

Depends. Walmart will sell choice but for $1.69/pound for various periods of time.

Other places will go on sale between $1.99/pound to 2.50/pound all choice cuts.

Costco here will have primes for $3.60-$3.75 a pound all the time.

In general grocery stores when not on sale choice will be between $3.25-$3.50+ a pound all day.

We have it good here in Texas... must be why people have been POURING into the state non-stop for the past 5 years lol :emoji_blush:

I could certainly live with those prices. I just can't see myself paying $100 for a slab of meat, unless I won the lottery or something. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm jealous.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Hey Little-m. I agree 100%. I would consider a Costco Membership. Do you know anyone that has one so you can scope the meat dept? the closest to me has 3-4 briskets out at a time, none are bad just a few to choose from. the bigger one a few miles further away usually has more like 8-12 out at a time to pick from. either way - prime brisket for $3.79 is very good IMO. other beef is also a bargain. Picked up a 5 pack of Choice NY strips for like 7 bucks a pound I think (sorry already unpacked them). Tri Tip is half the butcher costs, etc.

Hey Little-m. I agree 100%. I would consider a Costco Membership. Do you know anyone that has one so you can scope the meat dept? the closest to me has 3-4 briskets out at a time, none are bad just a few to choose from. the bigger one a few miles further away usually has more like 8-12 out at a time to pick from. either way - prime brisket for $3.79 is very good IMO. other beef is also a bargain. Picked up a 5 pack of Choice NY strips for like 7 bucks a pound I think (sorry already unpacked them). Tri Tip is half the butcher costs, etc.

Yes I do. I was considering asking him if he could spare the time. Unfortunately, meat up here is just, well, expensive all around. Glad to hear you are snagging deals tho. :emoji_sunglasses:

Wholesale beef prices... Iowa...
Brisket packer.. choice, ~$2.06# Select, ~$1.79#

2019-09-22.png

Our neighbors to the north have some good things, but have a higher overall cost of living.. government benefits = higher living costs due to higher taxes to cover the benefits. I can take care of me and mine, I don't want to pay for you and yours, sorry.. Hence my vote for Trump

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky