Pressured Canned my 1st batch of Beef/Vegetable Stew... had a metallic taste! Not sure why.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LeighAnn M

Original poster
Dec 23, 2022
Hello, I am new to pressure canning. I have read a lot of material and watched several videos. I finally made my 1st batch of beef/vegetable stew. I opened one jar the next day (less than 24hrs) because I wanted to see how it turned out. Everything was great except for a slightly metallic aftertaste. Is this normal? I used pink himalayan salt and chicken broth. I also used a small amount of garlic powder and black pepper. No other seasonings. All jars definitely sealed. I would appreciate any feedback from any experienced pressure canners...Thanks in advance!!!

Hmm. What I love about home canned food is that it does not have that metallic canned food taste. I've never experienced this.

Watching along, hopefully someone comes along that can help you out.

Hello, I am new to pressure canning. I have read a lot of material and watched several videos. I finally made my 1st batch of beef/vegetable stew. I opened one jar the next day (less than 24hrs) because I wanted to see how it turned out. Everything was great except for a slightly metallic aftertaste. Is this normal? I used pink himalayan salt and chicken broth. I also used a small amount of garlic powder and black pepper. No other seasonings. All jars definitely sealed. I would appreciate any feedback from any experienced pressure canners...Thanks in advance!!!
Talked to a buddy of mine that does a lot of canning. He was wondering if you had tomatoes in the stew. If so. Then it could be coming from them if they were overcooked before canning.
He also mentioned adding a pinch of sugar to each jar.

No tomatoes. I posted the question on a FB group and got a couple comments that it might be the pink Himalayan salt. Could have been some extra minerals or even anti caking agent. I have heard more than once pink salt was ok. I purchased some canning salt and will try that next time. Thanks so much for feedback.

Hmm. What I love about home canned food is that it does not have that metallic canned food taste. I've never experienced this.

Watching along, hopefully someone comes along that can help you out.
Good to know this is not normal. I have heard maybe the pink salt. Definitely try again with canning salt. Thanks for feedback!

I've used Morton's Canning salt in all my sausage making, brining, and canning projects for over 20 years, never a problem. Next project on the list is canning sugar free strawberry jam, be a first for me!
DSCN4308.JPG

DSCN1952.JPG

Awesome. That is the same brand my local grocery store had so I picked some up. I also have the All American Pressure Canner. I went with the 15 Qt. Very happy so far.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, welcome to SMF LeighAnn, lot of nice folks here with a wealth of knowledge and willing to share. Having had my canner for a long time your thread caused me to see what they are going for these days. Boy howdy, just like everything else those prices have really gone up! They are just about indestructible, take care of it, it'll last! RAY

LeighAnn Welcome to Smoking Meat Forum (SMF). Stick around and get to know the other members. As you found out, we do more than smoke meat.
Watch out the fermenting group! That's my next year's venture.

I haven't pressure canned in years, but I water bath most years.
I have never gotten a metallic taste from canning tomatoes, but I also use NO salt.
My other usual is pickled string beans and if there is a metallic taste it is masked by the brine.
I am very picky about my canning lids. I check them very carefully for any scratches or scrapes. Now that they are not unobtanium, I prefer Kerr or Ball brands. I also mostly use wide mouth.
For cooking and canning (and sausage and curing) I use the Morton pickling salt.
I only use Himalayan pink salt for final seasoning a meal.

My wife found our 921 at a thrift store. Don't know how old it is, but it was NOT taken care of. It's in rough shape. But as long as I keep a little oil on the seal, it still works great.

My most recent pressure can was sniffed turkey from Thanksgiving. Man, busy canned meat I've ever had. So tender and moist. And you can't beat getting that real smoke flavor from a can out of the pantry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky