Preserving basil?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually do that through the early part of the season because it seems to help the plant fill out and have more tender tips, but I let it start bolting around mid August. I also start a new crop about the same time so that I have some young tender stuff. You may still have time to get some seed production but I doubt it as far north as you are.

Dried Basil Powder: Can someone please tell me what this is? I'm glad I found this discussion. I came across a recipe that calls for dried basil powder...I have never heard of this. I called a couple spice companies and they had never heard of it either. I'm assuming you make it by grinding basil from the store...It's all I can figure. If I'm off base here then please set me straight. Also, I don't have the land to grow my own....does anyone know if it can be purchased online?

Dried Basil Powder: Can someone please tell me what this is? I'm glad I found this discussion. I came across a recipe that calls for dried basil powder...I have never heard of this. I called a couple spice companies and they had never heard of it either. I'm assuming you make it by grinding basil from the store...It's all I can figure. If I'm off base here then please set me straight. Also, I don't have the land to grow my own....does anyone know if it can be purchased online?
You can purchase Dry Basil and run it through a cheap coffee grinder. Or most stores have Fresh basil in the produce dept. Hang it upside down in a breezy area, a shelf in the kitchen, and it will dry in a couple of days. Then grind to any consistency you wish...JJ

Thank you. I have basil leaves in my cabinet (a lot of it). It doesn't say "dried" basil it just says basil leaves. It's probably about the size of uncooked rice...it's the standard stuff in the store like what most people put in spaghetti sauce. So from here, I simply want to run that through the grinder to grind to powder consistency correct? Or do I need to use only that which says "dried" basil or something I dry myself? Thank you for your help!

You certainly can take the stuff in the jar and grind it to a powder. The issue is, store bought dry herbs lose their flavor pretty quickly after the seal is broken, even in a tightly closed jar. The freshest dry basil will be that which you recently, last 3 months, dried yourself. I HATE the taste of dry basil so I keep a good bit of fresh basil frozen. It is not too good for Pesto as it gets dark after freezing but for every other use there is zero difference in taste between fresh and frozen. I your case, you can freeze a bunch of basil and a couple days out, pull a handful, dry it on the counter and grind to the desired size...No matter what the recipe, you have a fresh tasting product...JJ

What I do is make half Pesto, so to speak. Put Basil and Olive oil in blender, mix and pour into a numbr of very smal plastic jars, put a layer of oil on top, seal and freeze. I use it that way in pasta sauce on roast etc. For Pesto I then add cheese and Pine nuts after I defrosted a jar.

Chef-Huge help...thank you. About how long do you think it takes to dry on a counter....say sitting in an open Rubbermaid container?

Gray & Atomic-What about chicken Pesto Pasta? Is that stuff not the best?

All-this is off topic but when you use brown sugar in a rub do you dry out the brown sugar first or just store the rub airtight and break it up by hand when you go to use it. I made quite a bit of rub without drying out my brown sugar first. I don't have the heart to throw the rub out and start over....just curious on how you guys approach that.

Depending on the humidity and how well the air is moving, 2-5 days to dry...JJ

Very good topic.  I need to try some of these methods, or have my wife read this section.  You don't need land to grow basil.  All you need is about a gallon size flower pot with some good potting soil, just keep it watered.  We grew ours in two four gallon pots this year along with some chives.

Ed

I freeze mine in an ice cube. They can be Dehydrated too. Keep dry in a tightly sealed jar and in a dark , room temp.place...

Someone probably already said all this , I'm sleepy and can't read all this.I need to leave...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky