Prepping baby back ribs the night before. Good or bad?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kennys223

Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I purchased a couple racks of ribs and before I started I just wanted to know if prepping the ribs, taking out of the package and cleaning, the night before would be good or bad or if it would do anything to the meat like dry it out and what not? I won't be applying rub until the morning and smoking them until around noon. Just wanted to clean and prep tonight. Thoughts, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What I meant by cleaning was just taking it of the packaging and trimming, cutting, removing the membrane, etc., the night before. Just to make the morning easier for me and applying the rub.

Thanks PigglyWiggly.

Last edited:
Just wondering why you would not go ahead and apply the rub tonight ? I always done that if possible to get the rub time to work its magic on the ribs , but it works the next morning too . Good Luck !

I have marinated many ribs, removed the silver skin membrane, then marinaded them for 24 to 36 hours, took them out the day of the smoke, rinsed, dried them off with paper to

Marinate

¼ C Olive oil

1 Tsp Kosher Salt

½ Tsp Soy Sauce

Juice of one Lime or Lemon

¼  C Cider Vinegar

2 C Apple Juice

Mix it all together, pour over ribs, marinate for 24 to 36 hours

Rub

Honey (Glue)

2 ½ cups Brown sugar

1 TBSP Dijon Mustard

1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

1 tbsp cinnamon

Take ribs out of marinade, rinse off and dry, apply Honey, rub it all over, then apply rub.  Wrap tightly in Plastic wrap, then place in fridge, smoke the next day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky