Prepping a boneless butt: tying, rub, and other questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scrumtiousruckingBBQ

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Good evening all, getting ready to smoke my first pork butt. I have a few questions that I’d like some advice from the experts on:

The butt is boneless, and thus a little floppy. I plan on tying it up with twine before it goes in the smoker.

Do I tie it up before or after I put the rub on?

If the answer is after, should I get rub on all the flaps and weird crevices that resulted from the de-boning process? Or just the parts that would constitute the outside surface of the butt?

Also, I’m working off the assumption that I SHOULD tie it in the first place. From what I gather, this will make it easier to keep temp consistent throughout instead of the smaller flaps getting over cooked. Also helps keep it together when I pull it off to wrap. Am I correct in all that?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

You got a pic of the butt? That will help with the tying question
Here she is in all her glory. I’ll take any critiques y’all have got on my trimming as well. I’m brand new to smoking meat

Attachments

• 57B77BEB-EAB3-494F-85C9-5B3A176C4D39.jpeg
    57B77BEB-EAB3-494F-85C9-5B3A176C4D39.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 34
  • FE702D4E-0E63-4C73-A62C-4A7439408125.jpeg
    FE702D4E-0E63-4C73-A62C-4A7439408125.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ECC724BA-E87F-4DF0-8EBA-AFB2CF6AA6B8.jpeg
    ECC724BA-E87F-4DF0-8EBA-AFB2CF6AA6B8.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 32
Here she is in all her glory. I’ll take any critiques y’all have got on my trimming as well. I’m brand new to smoking meat
The pictures are weird (hastily snapped photos of your meat are never flattering…). To explain what’s going on here, picture 1 is the underside all laid out in its flappy glory, picture 2 is the top side with one of the flaps lifted up, and pic 3 is the top side where I trimmed the fat cap off. The flap in pic 2 is mostly the fatty piece on the right side of pic 3

Season first, then tie. Or you can filet it out and then season and cook. I’ve done a few this way. Much more flavor.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fillet-of-pork-butt.315409/
I might do it this way. Only thing I’m worried about is not getting even thickness on all the pieces, and then overcooking some of them. I’m brand new to smoking meat so I’m still kinda figuring things out. I understand that pork butt is more forgiving since it’s so thick. Don’t want to rob myself of that handicap just yet

Reactions: TNJAKE
Then I'd do what Doug said and finish it out cutting wise and smoke. Will have tons of area for bark and flavor. Nothing wrong with a roll and tie either

I might do it this way. Only thing I’m worried about is not getting even thickness on all the pieces, and then overcooking some of them. I’m brand new to smoking meat so I’m still kinda figuring things out. I understand that pork butt is more forgiving since it’s so thick. Don’t want to rob myself of that handicap just yet
Do it that way then missed the total newbie part. Stick around here and you'll be a pro in no time

I’m with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge too. Season the whole thing, crevices and all. Then if you want to roll and tie, go for it. I’ve done the cutting into chunks too. More bark and they get done quicker. Pork butt is pretty forgiving, don’t stress too much. You’ll be happy, worst case is you end with chopped pork and that ain’t bad. I will caution on using too much rub, you don’t want a big pile all over the top and falling all over. Good luck! Post some pics!

Keep is simple, there's nothing more forgiving or easier to smoke than a butt. Cut out the shoulder bone, I cut out the coppa muscle too, then roast tie what's left, apply mustard and your favorite rub.
DSCN3871.JPG

I've smoked butts on my offset, Pro 100 electric, and a Weber kettle. Anywhere from 225º to 300º will work, have a decent probe, I like two.
DSCN3872.JPG

Leave the butt alone, you really don't need to spray or wrap it, it'll cook just fine on it's own. I smoke a butt until it reaches an IT of 203º and has a nice bark, probe with a toothpick until it goes in and comes out like soft butter. Then I pull it off the smoker, wrap it in foil, wrap that in a towel, and put it in a cooler for an hour or two
DSCN3873.JPG

Then it's time to pull. You can add any fat you've saved in a pan, use a finishing sauce, or do nothing at all, it will still be juicy and delicious.
DSCN3874.JPG

Pulled pork works with just about any side, slaw, beans, and tater salad are standards. Not much better than a pulled pork sanny, works on pizza too.

DSCN3875.JPG

Don't overthink it, just do it, it's not brain surgery. RAY

I’m with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge too. Season the whole thing, crevices and all. Then if you want to roll and tie, go for it. I’ve done the cutting into chunks too. More bark and they get done quicker. Pork butt is pretty forgiving, don’t stress too much. You’ll be happy, worst case is you end with chopped pork and that ain’t bad. I will caution on using too much rub, you don’t want a big pile all over the top and falling all over. Good luck! Post some pics!
Will do! Saw you're from Alexandria; we just moved down here from Arlington last year. We absolutely loved it up there, hope we get to move back at some point. If you ever see West Potomac Rugby Club running around, give them some love. They're based in Alexandria and are a great group of guys

Reactions: bauchjw
Tonight I just happened to prepping two boneless butts for a BBQ Luncheon I'm doing to say thank you to my physical therapists.
They've done an outstanding job getting me back to some semblance of normalcy.

Anyways pics of my process.
Rub my meat with lots of.... Rub.
Truss tightly and wrap.
Ready for the smoker tomorrow.
I'll run them around 275° with hickory until probe tender.
20220615_225714.jpg
20220615_230254.jpg
20220615_231106.jpg
20220615_233148.jpg
20220615_234255.jpg

Last edited:
Will do! Saw you're from Alexandria; we just moved down here from Arlington last year. We absolutely loved it up there, hope we get to move back at some point. If you ever see West Potomac Rugby Club running around, give them some love. They're based in Alexandria and are a great group of guys
Definitely! I posted a longer response on your other thread, but wanted to include a response here and recommend that on this butt to whip up a quick cider vinegar based finishing sauce. It elevates pulled pork to a whole new level! If you need a recipe there are a lot here, but I’ve been using legendary Chef JimmyJs (RIP) for years and love it:

Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Last edited:
Sounds like all the SMF gurus have wisely informed you. Take their advice. Splay that butt wide open and bless it generously with your rub. You’ll get a ton of bark and bark is almost as good as bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky