Fillet of Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
So lately I’ve been boning out butts or buying boneless and filleting out the meat to about 1 1/2” thick then season and smoke. In this way I get substantially more surface area for seasoning and smoke. I’m cooking these in my offset rolling at 250-275F and getting probe tender in about 4-5 hours For PP. I cooked these last night but then took the family to the Drive-In theater to watch the new Top Gun movie. So I will reheat this and pull this evening and get a plate shot. I’m also going to make up some of my Bbq Juice to go with, I will post a link to that recipe. It’s delicious on just about anything Bbq. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bbq-juice.308642/

0204291D-8189-401E-A801-C9125D39B9E8.jpeg

I'm in for that, great suggestion on breaking down the butts.

took the family to the Drive-In theater to watch the new Top Gun movie.
Now that would be fun. We have a 3 screen drive-in near us out in the country and that's about as close to a movie theater that I get. Go before dark and the grands get to run around and play with the other kids, good times...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's very interesting. I smoked a shoulder yesterday, using a 12" tube with half cherry and half hickory. About 3 hours in I wanted more cherry so I added a 6' tube with just cherry. All lumberjack 100% pellets.

All in all, pretty disappointed in the smoke flavor. When I first started I thought about cutting in half, but in the other direction and should have. This is an even better idea.

That's very interesting. I smoked a shoulder yesterday, using a 12" tube with half cherry and half hickory. About 3 hours in I wanted more cherry so I added a 6' tube with just cherry. All lumberjack 100% pellets.

All in all, pretty disappointed in the smoke flavor. When I first started I thought about cutting in half, but in the other direction and should have. This is an even better idea.
If you forget about the 6 or 7 main muscles in a pork butt and think of it as 'A' the blade bone (horn muscles), 'B' the center section, and 'C' the Coppa (money muscle end), you can cut it in half just beyond the blade bone with only a knife.
LHCVQZD.jpg

Waiting for the results Edge. I just did my first long smoke of the season. 11hrs in the smoker and 1 in the oven because I was getting tired. Let us know how it turns out.

Point for sure
Chris

Those do look good, but am waiting for the results like Chris!

PS, I have done the smaller portions like that many times to speed things up. Very tasty and quick!

Yep nothing wrong with a boneless or portioned butt. The last wedding cook I did the hosts provided boneless butts. I kinda freaked at first but there was a bunch more surface area for rub and smoke. They cooked much faster too. I didn't get to try any but I got good reports. If it works for you, go with it.

Bacon fried crispy, this is for the fat. You could drain and use butter. But I like the bacon gold. Add chopped onions and peppers.

5C2E61B3-D7BF-42DE-B095-9379ECFCB347.jpeg

Cook until onion is translucent then add spices.

3D5DFBF6-D089-49F5-899A-99DD35A52B66.jpeg

We will let that simmer for a few minutes so the vegetables can soak up the flavor then in with the wet ingredients.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Simmer no more than an hour. Just enough to incorporate the ingredients. This stuff is delicious.

3C4EC7BB-D167-4769-8BDC-642262A7B906.jpeg

So on to the slaw. This is grated cucumber, chopped onion, a grated Granny Smith apple, radish and carrots. Will add cabbage and dressing. This stuff is already off the hook delicious.

0FC6A46D-1813-4660-B190-F372E71FD3FE.jpeg

Reactions: crazymoon and DougE
Here it is with the creamy dressing. Seriously, this stuff is out of bounds good. A natural sweet and tart. Wow it’s good.

2865BAA1-08A4-4B67-AEC1-3ED09A4DEBCB.jpeg

Reactions: DougE
I’m a little slow tonight but was my Mom’s birthday a couple days ago and tonight was our time with her for supper. She is 75 this year and rolling like 65. She is a huge blessing.

So on to the plate. Here is the pulled pork.
2B4EB1A6-CD55-48D7-BBC0-44FA2D776994.jpeg

I’ll be honest here, this was smoked with gamble oak (like post oak) and cherry chunks, but the pink mostly comes from using Morton’s Tender Quick for salt. It’s a cheat that I haven’t visited in a while but decided to go with it for fun. So easy to fake a smoke ring, but this brings a little hammy flavor to the table so it’s a nice addition sometimes.

We did Sammies. The pork with some bbq juice over top.
C94BA1C7-1334-4284-A4E0-6743269B536C.jpeg

The slaw with some waffle fries. The balance of flavor is off the chart here. So good. The sammich.
91605D0A-FE73-449C-BFDA-1C38398F93CB.jpeg

Hope you guys give this a try. So super delicious. The slaw with cucumber and Granny Smith is out of bounds. Sweet sour and acid is perfect for fatty bbq meat. The bbq juice is also very balanced on the meat. Salty, sweet and tang.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky