Preparing the meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tre 1990

Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Question on preparing meat

I generally rub anything im smoking the night before and put it in the fridge covered. I heard recently most people keep the good uncovered. Also heard that you should let the rub caramelize before placing it in the fridge

Can anyone explain what the benefit is of keeping the meat uncovered, and if there is any added benefit of letting the rub settle before putting the meat in the fridge or call you out it in right after rubbing it down

Leaving it uncovered would allow the surface to dry, but I don't really think that's necessary with anything but chicken.

Also heard that you should let the rub caramelize before placing it in the fridge

Don't even know what that means. How will the rub caramelize without heat?

If I have the chance. I'll let whatever I put rub on sit overnight uncovered in the fridge. If not overnight. Then at least a couple hours before cooking or smoking. I, too, don't understand the caramelize question. Unless you meant the rub collecting moisture from the meat and gets tacky?

Depends on smoker. MES moves much less air than a stick burner. If i don't do the rest (called pellicle) I will not get much bark. How much bark is personal preference but I do a pellicle on pretty much everything.

Depends on smoker. MES moves much less air than a stick burner. If i don't do the rest (called pellicle) I will not get much bark. How much bark is personal preference but I do a pellicle on pretty much everything.

What is a pellicle. And guys sorry I guess I meant how the rub gathers moisture and gets tacky wrong term I suppose lol

A pellicle is a skin or coating of proteins on the surface of meat, fish or poultry, which allow smoke to better adhere to the surface of the meat during the smoking process.

Reactions: zwiller
It can be confusing. Some say dry it out over night in the fridge. Others say spritz ( more moisture ) for smoke to adhere. Personally I don't spritz, don't like the heat loss and recovery time.

Reactions: zwiller
I can see a HUGE stickburner drying things out too much and need a little spritzing to keep it in check but most our backyard smokers are going to be the opposite. Winterrider Winterrider makes a great point. Opening the smoker works against you and also adding moisture causes evaporative cooling, slowing the cook. Best not to do. One thing that has always stuck to me is that water + smoke = acid rain. Moisture on meat is the same thing. Wet meat going into the smoker will give it a harsh taste. Steve H Steve H has you covered but search and learn more about pellicle. Total game changer for me. Welcome to SMF!

I don't do anything to add moisture to my Smokes, because I use an MES, and it already is too humid in there due to the good insulation they have in them.

And I really don't Personally associate Pellicle to smoking, except for things I cure first, like Bacon, Dried Beef, etc, etc.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
I don't do anything to add moisture to my Smokes, because I use an MES, and it already is too humid in there due to the good insulation they have in them.

And I really don't Personally associate Pellicle to smoking, except for things I cure first, like Bacon, Dried Beef, etc, etc.

Bear
I’m with Bear on this. I use a charcoal smoker but I only worry about pellicle on cured meats. I also will do it for chicken to get a more bite through skin.

Reactions: fivetricks
Wet meat will get more smoke flavor , a pellet grill moves a lot of air and is probably 1 of the reasons its hard to get a big bite of smoke flavor without some xtra work, spritzing does help and high heat for crisp chicken skin is hard beat.

Wrapped or Naked, get the Rubbed meat in the Refer in under 2 hours time prepping . This includes, trimming, tieing, rubbing or whatever. Time spent on the counter only invites Bacteria to start growing...JJ

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky