Preparing Rattlesnake?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
What is the best method for preparing rattlesnake so that the meat is pleasant?

I hear it’s rather tough if you just skin it and throw it on the grille.

But have heard it is really good if prepared and soaked in a marinade or something similar.

I should have a few to prepare next week or next weekend.

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
The only way I ever had it was cut into segments, then first soaking in a saltwater brine for a couple of hours to leach blood and get rid of the smell. Then in a buttermilk bath for 12 to 18 hours. Egg/cornmeal/flour X 2. Then fried. The biggest I've ever seen cooked was 12' long and as big around as your forearm. To me it tastes like frog legs.

Here is a Kent VIDEO which covers all the bases.

What is the best method for preparing rattlesnake so that the meat is pleasant?

I hear it’s rather tough if you just skin it and throw it on the grille.

But have heard it is really good if prepared and soaked in a marinade or something similar.

I should have a few to prepare next week or next weekend.

Thanks

I deep fried one in about 3 inch sections once on the directions of a guy that worked at a wild game processer.... he was horribly wrong about it haha. It is so tough i had to throw it out and felt bad about it cause that meat was like $11/lb at the time when looking on line.

After that debacle i looked up and almost every recipe or prep tip mentioned to soak it in lemon juice or make a soup/chili with the meat where u can simmer it a long time.

I learned there is no "filleting" the meat so all the reports of boiling it to get the meat off the bone made sense too.

If I was to fry again i would marinated in real lemon juice or pinapple juice or any juice that will tenderize the crap out of it. From there I would give frying a shot but honestly i think a chili or stew dish may be a better use where u boil first, debone, and then use the meat in the dish.

If you boiled and deboned i think fried and breaded patties like salmon patties might be a great option!

I hope this info helps :)

I almost stepped on a timber rattler Saturday evening while working on stands. I have him in my freezer now.
AFB221D0-0FAC-4CDF-AED1-E60CBA105FD1.jpeg

I watch “Naked & afraid” & They eat it all the time. Personally I would love to try it, And we have them around here, along with water moccasins. But they are hard to catch. I bet they would be really good SV’d. If I catch one I’ll let you know.
Al

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Cut the body into 4-5” sections. Bread and fry. Dont over cook. Always taste fine to me. Keep it simple.

We grow em’ big down here, by the way.
BFE541A1-7D85-4AF0-B38F-E26D2FFC3CF0.jpeg
035D9735-E49C-4F7D-AEC7-C8A1B843B2D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Had it about 20 yrs ago at a wild game feed. I remember it was tasty but pretty tough. I think a longer cook( crock ) or SV would be beneficial.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky