Precision BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leeman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Round Rock
Not sure this is permitted here since I'm not a sponsor (yet) - if it is not, then please delete.

A friend and I have been active BBQ smokers for many years and several years ago started working on a cloud based temperature probe. We've built many prototypes and are now finally starting a Kickstarter for it. The design is mature and we've already have the finished board designs and paid for some of the tooling (LCD for example). The Kickstarter would give us enough funding to pay for the last tooling that is needed.

Our unit connects through wifi (though bluetooth is supported as well) and stores all the smoke data on a cloud server with no cost to the users. We have Android, iOS, and web based apps so you can monitor your smoke or recall previous ones. We've focused on cost to make sure that we can keep the units affordable for everyone.

Note that with Kickstarter, you only have to pay if the project gets full funded.

Thanks !
Lee

Tough market. Lot of good thermos out there from a variety of good companies. What are you gonna do to stand out? And what’s your price point?

We start at $50 and support 6 probes. The unit comes with a rechargeable battery which lasts more than a day and the unit can be powered and/or charged with a normal micro-USB cable.

The major features are:

* Wifi connectivity. Connects to your home wifi network which has much greater range than bluetooth.
* Cloud based. Unit directly talks to cloud server. You can monitor your smoke from anywhere. You can go to your kid's party or to the supermarket and check on how your bbq is going. Your data is stored on the cloud and can be recalled and viewed at any time in the future.
* Notifications. Each probe can be programmed for an upper and lower temperature to set off an alarm/notification. You will get this notification on your mobile device anywhere you are (as long as you have cell service). I find this feature handy to wake you up when the smoker gets too cold or too hot.
* Over the air updates. The unit (under your control) will update over your wifi network - so you will always be up to date on any fixes or new features that are released.

-- Lee

Lee,

6 probes huh? That’s a first! Definitely something I could use. I have 3 different Mavericks and 2 igrills now.

$50 is affordable! That’s a great price!

My smokers are in the barn well away from the house and the wifi so that’s not a selling point for me but I bet it is for most people.

Good luck with your thermo! I’ll be keeping an eye out for any updates.

Scott

Plug in a wifi extender outside your house. Wifi covers a large area when not blocked by walls. :-)

6 probes are a nice addition, and the price point is certainly a plus. But the thing we are all looking for is probe wires that don't fail all the time & are waterproof. You also need to have a waterproof sender. Then you could corner the market if the therms are accurate!
Al

Thanks you for your input. We should be able to offer different probes at different price points. We believe we chose good probes, but can do more research and probably offer other choices.

Waterproofing is something we are investigating as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky