PRE - THANKSGIVING BRISKET

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
PRE - THANKSGIVING BRISKET
 ​
My Sweet Daughter-in-laws Dad has not been doing well and he loves my Brisket and Beans. So I thought I would try to perk him up a bit.

I bought a 13.6 lb Brisket, a rack of ribs a  bunch of pork & beans. Super 1 had Briskets for $1.99

5:00 AM -  Made Coffee, pulled Brisket out of fridge

5:15 AM - Fired up the smoker. (it was 27º) then trimmed, cleaned and seasoned brisket.

5:45 AM - Smoker was at 275º Put the Brisket on

6:00 AM - Smoker was at 300º  I decided to cook at a higher temp than my usual (225º)

8:00 AM - Started putting my beans together, cooked off a little chopped bacon, than added my onions, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cooked the veggies till tender added them to the P&B along with my spices.

9:00 AM - Put the beans in the smoker 

10:30 AM - Pulled ribs from fridge, removed membrane, cleaned, trimmed and seasoned

11:00 AM - Ribs on the smoker

12:00 PM - Removed the Beans and Brisket from the smoker, Wrapped the Brisket and back on, Beans in the oven .

2:00 PM - Pulled ribs off wrapped and back on

3:30 PM - Unwrapped ribs and back on

4:00 PM - Pulled ribs off, re-wrapped and in the oven  (Oven is set at 170º Warm)

4:30 PM - Pulled Brisket off smoker (I let it rest for about 30 min)

5:00 PM - Started dividing it up so I could run it over to my son and DIS

Brisket Seasoned up and waiting to go on the smoker

Brisket, beans and just put on the ribs

Brisket ready to wrap

Wrapped up and ready to go back on

I cut a few bones off each end for my grandson, these are going to DIL's Dad

For the Grandson

Beans divided up

The star of the show

I got a heck of a bark but not much smoke ring

Reado for delivery

And ours

NOTE :   In my opinion I like my briskets cooked at  225º a lot better then the higher temp I did this time. It rendered  out too much of the fat and made it dryer than I like,

It was NOT dry just not quite as moist as what I usually get. Also my explain the lack

of the heavy smoke ring I usually get.

I noticed my butcher paper was completely saturated and dripping from the fat.

You never know till you try, I can X this one off. Don't like the Higher temp for Brisket 

at all.

Thanks for Looking

Gary

Last edited:
Gary, Very nice presentation indeed.  Point.

Question,  What got you to run the smoker at 275*  vs your favorite temp of 225* ?      I noticed that running at 275* you basically pulled the brisket  12 hours later (wrapped).  When you smoke at 225*  how long will you normally run it for?

Craig

OMG----Your Freaking Briskets always look Fantastic!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I could just sit here & stare at them "Zoomed In".  I'll probably wear a path to this Thread!!!
icon14.gif

I was thinking about trying 275° the next time, but if the Master says 225° is best, I'm sticking with it too!!! 
first.gif

Thanks Gary!!

Bear

Gary, Very nice presentation indeed.  Point.

Question,  What got you to run the smoker at 275*  vs your favorite temp of 225* ?      I noticed that running at 275* you basically pulled the brisket  12 hours later (wrapped).  When you smoke at 225*  how long will you normally run it for?

Craig
Hey Thanks Craig, I went back and looked and corrected my time It was on for about 10.5 hours.

Ant to answer your question, Briskets are different I've cooked a similar sized brisket in 10 hours 

at 225º  Several cooked ago I smoked 2 briskets almost exact weight and looked pretty close in 

marbling One came off a little over 10 hours and the other took 12.5

The main reason I decided to cook at a higher temp is I was hoping to get finished early so I could 

get it delivered early enough for supper..

I have said this many times "Stick with what works for you" some folks cook at higher temps and have great results

I'll stick to my lower temps

Thanks again

Gary

Thank you Bear and for the points

Gary

Well all I can say is yummy for the tummy.  Some day, I want to do a brisket for I love it's burnt ends. Meanwhile will just keep learning from the masters.

Whooo Weee! You had a full days work by noon Gary!  The brisket looks great! I like those bones too. Point!

B

Wow Gary. Looks great as always.

I bought my first briskey to try hopefully this weekend.

Whooo Weee! You had a full days work by noon Gary!  The brisket looks great! I like those bones too. Point!

B
Thanks Brian you still running all over the country ?

Gary

Wow Gary. Looks great as always.

I bought my first briskey to try hopefully this weekend.
Thanks,  And we will be watching for your post, after this first one you will be hooked  (Brisket is easy)

Gary

I'm with Disco,I've been down and think some of your brisket and beans may just be the ticket to being better! Send it to me I can forward some to Disco.

Thanks guys, I wish I could

Gary

Gary,

Have you ever smoked a Brisket and NOT experienced the stall? Reason I ask, I just smoked up a brisket yesterday, an 11 pounder with good marbling, and reached 205 deg. in roughly 7.5 hours with little to no stall. I had my MES 40 running consistent at 220-240 deg the entire time. I fully expected to be smoking for a good 12 hours but not even close!

I must say, I am not disappointed in the way it turned out! Used a basic pepper/kosher salt blend and achieved a great smoke ring and bark. Made burnt end today for the first time by cubing and sprinkling my rub then back in the MES for two hours at max temp with smoke....Oh My, these tender morsels were tremendously tasty.

Wurm Slinger, I had a similar experience with an 8lb brisket I did for a competition a few weeks back. I had set my meat thermometer to beep at 295, and couldn't believe my ears when it rang at 4am! The little 8 pounder was pulling across the finish line after only 6 hours of cook time! I had to pull him, because the long rest time to judging the next afternoon would be sure to turn him into mush if I pushed 200 degrees internal temp. My only explanation is the quality of the brisket. It was very well marbled and had an almost "fluffy" consistency at room temp. Also, the smoker could have been hotter than the temp gauge was showing, since it was borrowed from a friend who hadn't done any calibration or even moved it to grate level.

I have said many times every piece of meat is different.  I smoked two almost identical Briskets a while back, same weight, close in marbling and fat cap. One finished two hours ahead of the other one.

I know when you are trying to time your smoke, especially in a competition and it comes off way to early or way late it messes up you whole game plan.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky