Practice run it my new Char-Griller Smokin' Champ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aztral

Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
Wife got me a CG SC a early XMas present :)

Although I've been grilling for decades, a smoker was a bit intimidating. :emoji_astonished:
Would I be able to control the temperature well enough, how many trips to store would I need to replace the lump charcoal etc.?

Last night I seasoned the smoker and even after that I wasn't convinced the temps could be keep within range.

Then today I went through a practice run with a 2lb beef chuck cross rib to learn the basics so I can make brisket for Xmas.
During the smoke I must have said to myself "I got this!" twenty times :)
I could raise and lower the temps at will, and could likely just move the meat near/away from the smoke box for even more control.

I started with modified-Minion method by loading 1 1/2 canisters of unlit lump mesquite to the back of firebox.
Then I poured 1 canister of lit lump mesquite to the front.
I would periodically throw small chunks of raw hickory as needed.
My Meater+ temp probe worked great and I could kick-back in the front room and see the IT and cook area temps from the sofa.

Here's my setup (no mods yet, just a water-pan inside 3in from FB).
20201212_113510.jpg

Thin blue smoke - ok you cant really see it buts its there
20201212_113553.jpg 20201212_113813.jpg

The result
20201212_140529.jpg 20201212_165831.jpg

Time to eat - I made gyros!
20201212_164346.jpg

To be honest after 2 1/2 hours this cut of meat was still kinda chewy, but chopped up was fine in my Gyros.
I throw it back in the smoker another 2 hrs and it was much better.
Although not 'moist' at 4 1/2 total, it was dry either.

I'm sure a brisket would come out much better.

Anyway, here my first practice run

Looks darn good from here. Great Bark and excellent smoke ring. For your first try I'd say you're well on your way! Nice work.

Reactions: Aztral
A Aztral thanks for the like. They are appreciated. Why was she freaked out by the smoke ring?
She is afraid of under cooked meat.
She rationally knew was fine, but instinctively had a visual reaction to 'pink meat.' lol
All is well now :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm reading up brisket now.
I realize now that during this smoke the meat reached a 'plateau' as the collagen started to break down. Instead of cranking up temp as I did, I should have just rolled with it.
Live and Learn-tasted good anyway :emoji_astonished:

Reactions: MJB05615
She is afraid of under cooked meat.
She rationally knew was fine, but instinctively had a visual reaction to 'pink meat.' lol
All is well now :emoji_thumbsup:
I see, totally understand. You are correct, you raised the temp during the stall. It's difficult waiting out the stall sometimes. It's different for every piece of meat. Great work otherwise.

Reactions: Aztral
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky