Power Outages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
I’ve seen several posts since joining the group about power outages during the cooking process when using smokers that require electricity.
My BBQ team competed on the KCBS circuit for 14 seasons. Almost all contests that we cooked there was at least one pellet cooker involved. We were pretty lazy cooks and liked to sleep at night thus the pellet cookers.
The last thing we needed to deal with at a contest was a cooker shutting off in the middle of the night without us knowing about it.
Our solution was fairly simple and we never had to worry about a power outage.

External power was ran to our enclosed trailer. We had a battery charger plugged in and attached to a deep cycle battery. The battery was attached to an inverter and the inverter attached to the pellet cooker.
The battery stayed fully charged all the time. If the power went off the battery and inverter would keep the pellet cooking running for several hours if needed.
This maybe overkill for home cooks but if you do a lot of overnight cooks this setup will give you a peace of mind.
Just thought I would share.

Johnny Ray

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky