Poutine gravy recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I know this has little to do with smoking but I am in need of a recipe for poutine gravy.

The real Canadian stuff, not Heinz jar gravy... :emoji_wink:

Thanks for your help...

JC :emoji_cat:

For gravy, I prefer making a roux with bacon grease.. using Krusteaz pancake mix and whole milk... A chicken gravy so to speak...

Reactions: JC in GB
Don't recall what show, but I saw a FN show on poutine and the CAN chefs made a big deal to about using duck fat and stock for "true" poutine. They fried the fries in duck fat as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Don't recall what show, but I saw a FN show on poutine and the CA chefs made a big deal to about using duck fat and stock for "true" poutine. They fried the fries in duck fat as well.

Now that sounds like the way to go there....

Reactions: zwiller
Don't recall what show, but I saw a FN show on poutine and the CA chefs made a big deal to about using duck fat and stock for "true" poutine. They fried the fries in duck fat as well.
With it's French origins I can believe that.
But that is pretty upscale for most folks.
I'll settle for whatever critter I've cooked most recently.
Mmmm, gravy!

You have to scroll to bottom and clik on "Brown Gravy Sauce for Poutine and Hot Chicken".

I checked out the recipe and it is a basic (light) brown gravy.
Personally, I don't like corn starch in my Euro-American gravy.

Thanks... Checked it out again and found it... A pretty basic gravy. I will be sure to give it a try. I agree that I don't like cornstarch as much in gravy as a good roux.

My first instruction to any new cook. Always start with a roux. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: Fueling Around
I REALLY want to like poutine but never had one that I liked yet. To be honest, I think the cheese curds are the key and might need to be fresh made. Did some digging and this gravy looks good to me: https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/duck-fat-gravy-sauce/

Holy crap just had a wild thought. Smoke a duck and collect the fat to make gravy and serve poutine with the smoked duck. :emoji_astonished:

Bacon fat (grease) and chicken fat (schmaltz) taste great and it's a lot cheaper for this old fart on a fixed income... I keep watching TV chefs rave about duck fat.. I'm afraid if I tried it, I'd love it and have to go to W-M and become a greeter to support my newly acquired food habit... Schmaltz makes an awesome roux...
I would NOT make a good greeter...

Reactions: drdon and JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky