Poultry liver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mick your liver is perfectly cooked. I am a huge fan of Duck liver. It's flavor is so much smoother and more mellow than Chicken liver. I have made Liver Pate many times from poultry, Turkey liver is tasty, and Pigs liver. My absolute favorite is pate made with Foie Gras but at $60+ a pound, it has been several years since that last wonderful batch. I use my twist on a French style pate...JJ
Thanks a bunch I do think thats the way to serve it. If you take it to far & its dry you blew it. Its pretty cheap relatively & a better flavour than chicken although if I  was making pate I  wouldnt get to hung up about  it..

Rabbit liver is also good. Ducks get processed here into mary lands & breasts so the livers arent that pricey.I suppose its one of those things if people could see past prime cuts the price would go up! 

You could throw the whole dish I  made into a processor with some binder & make pate .People would think you were some sort of kitchen genius but its really simple cookery. You just have to pay attention to your pan,do things in order,taste & not rush.All things you tell your students I  am sure.
biggrin.gif

I think theres room in this new section for a bunch of stuff that members will switch on to fairly quickly. Any chance you could bust out a classic?

I prefer the mousse style pate and considering it was last Christmas since I made it I am due. Maybe for New Years Eve, but yeah I will post it and the recipe...JJ

I'm late arriving to this pate party, but just found this nose-to-tail thread and couldn't resist chipping in. I have a recipe for chicken liver mousse that even people who say they don't like chicken liver really love. This makes a lot of mousse, so I usually cut the recipe in half.

1 pound chicken livers
1 pound butter, plus 2 oz
3 oz bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
spices to taste: cinnamon, smoked paprika, paprika, mace, allspice, freshly ground white pepper
good starting point for spices: 1/4 tsp cinnamon (can increase up to 1/2 tsp), 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp mace, 1/4 tsp allspice
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/3 cup whiskey or bourbon
4 oz cream cheese (can double to 8 oz for milder mousse)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Trim and rinse the livers, drain well, and pat dry. Cut into 1/2 to 1 inch size pieces. Brown 2 oz butter. Season liver with 1 tsp kosher salt. Sear livers in brown butter, turning occasionally, until stiffened but still somewhat pink in the middle, about 5 or 6 minutes depending on size of the liver pieces. Remove liver from heat. Don't overcook the livers or they will be dry. Juice running from the liver should be brown not pink, but liver pieces should still be somewhat pink in the middle.

Fry bacon in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the bacon starts to sweat, add onion and cook until the onions have caramelized. Add garlic and spices during the last minute or so. Add apples and cook through until browned. Deglaze the pan with the whiskey or bourbon, and reduce until the ingredients are near dry. Combine livers, onion, garlic, spices, apple, bacon, remaining 1 lb butter, and cream cheese in a food processor. Process until smooth. Pass the puree through a sieve. You don't need to sieve it, but I think it is better that way. Adjust salt, pepper, and other spices to taste. Additional 1/2 tsp salt or more may be needed. Additional 1/8 tsp of smoked paprika may be needed.

Pack the mousse into containers and smooth the tops. Slam the containers on the counter to get rid of all air bubbles. Cover and chill. Mousse flavor will develop as it sits, and is best after 2 days. Mousse will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator. To keep for 2 weeks or longer, cap the top of the mousse with a layer of clarified butter or rendered animal fat. After the fat cap is cracked, mousse will need to be eaten within a week.

Nice looking recipe!! 

Any chance next time your doing it you could stick some Qview on here.?
Hi Moikel,

Absolutely. I'm making it next week as an appetizer for a family gathering. I'll post Qview (LiverView?) then.

Hi Moikel,

Absolutely. I'm making it next week as an appetizer for a family gathering. I'll post Qview (LiverView?) then.
A recipe that good should have its own thread so people dont miss it. Nose to tail is the place for it .Chef JJ was going to do one as well.

Its a great style a great test of a chef to get those delicate mousse/parfait styles right.

Look forward to seeing it. MICK

That sounds wonderful. Do you ever use chicken fat in place of some of the butter?
I was curious about this too, so one time I did render down some chicken fat to make schmaltz, and then used that in place of butter to make chopped liver. But since I didn't do a straight side-by-side comparison against an all-butter version, I really can't say for sure if it made a lot of difference in the taste or texture.  My gut feel was that I liked it better with butter.  But that was the first and only time I've made schmaltz, so I might have not gotten enough flavor into the schmaltz.  

Last edited:
I often buy chicken leg quarters and they come loaded with fat which I render for saving as cooking fat. I always use schmaltz in chopped liver but as with all things like this, every family has their recipe and their's is the best one. Just one thing, with the added bacon it ain't gonna be kosher.  ;)

Last edited:
I like to wrap chicken livers in bacon and then sprinkle some bbq seasoning on them and smoke them up for a few hours at 275° and enjoy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky