Poultry Brine w/out sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tucson smoker

Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hey Guys want to smoke a Whole Turkey this weekend. Have a small problem, my wife can't have any raw or processed sugar in her diet for a few months. What can I replace the sugar in most brines with?..Thanks in advance

From what I understand the only reason you have the sugar in the brine to begin with is to offset the saltiness. I would leave it out and perhaps shorten the time of the brine, lessen the amount of salt, or allow a little exra time to just soak in water to leach out some of the salt.

If there is a sugar sub that she likes and can have use it . You don't have to have sugar in a brine. They need salt to leech into the meat but you can use pretty much you like in a brine.

If there is a sugar sub that she likes and can have use it . You don't have to have sugar in a brine. They need salt to leech into the meat but you can use pretty much you like in a brine.
I'd be a little bit leary of that.  Many sugar substitutes are fine when added to dishes at the table, but do not work well in cooking -- which might include smoking.  He could try it -- but I'd say to follow the other recomendations and just leave it out.

As a diabetic, I've used Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] cup for cup in my brines with no differences, same way with Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] brown sugar too.

c4fad733_014.jpg

Altern is a Splenda knockoff from Wallyworld.

Good to know.

My wife has tried to use Splenda and Splenda brown sugar mix in cookies for a diabetic friend and they have not turned out nearly as well as when using regular sugar products.  It might be a matter of not having as much experience using it as she does with the regular sugars.  They do act differently in cooking cookies.

How about that new natural sweetener made from a plant leaf?  Have you used it?

It's called 'Stevia' - have not used it, quite a bit more expensive than Splenda. Any comparisons out there on it?

I've used fruit juice instead of sugar and it worked real well.  Just replaced some of the water with juice.  Tried apple (my fav), orange, and pineapple.

BBQMzungu

The sugar in a brine be there ta balance out the salt, be why there usually in equal parts.  I'd know if it wasn't there, but that just be me.

Can ya use honey, er maybe corn syrup.  I don't know the reason she can't have processed sugar so the corn syrup be a guess.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky