Potato and sausage soup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Better known Zuppa Toscana.
It is a pretty simple soup. But loaded with flavor.
I've done this with a crock pot, dutch oven, and once with a IP. My favorite is with the crockpot.
Cook 6 or so slices of bacon until crispy in a heavy cast iron skillet if you have one. I prefer the thick sliced. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to drain.
Add 1 pound hot sausage. Either links with the skin removed. Or bulk. in the skillet. and cook and crumble until browned. Remove and drain.
Cook in skillet one med. onion diced and 2 cloves minced garlic until onions are slightly cooked. Remove from pan and let drain.
DSCN4515.jpg

Cut 5 or 6 Russet potatoes into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. Rinse and drain until water is clear.
1 bunch of Kale stems removed and torn to manageable pieces.
Salt and pepper to taste. I never add salt. With the broth, bacon, and sausage I find it has enough salt.
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
5 cups chicken broth.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Add the meats, potatoes, and red pepper flakes, pepper, and onions to the crock pot.
Then add the chicken broth. The broth should cover the mixture. If not. You can add water or more broth to do so.
Cover. And cook on high for about 4 hours until potatoes are done.
When done. Add the Kale and heavy cream. And cook for another 30 minutes.
Then add the parmesan cheese.
Here is where you can decide if the soup is at the desired thickness. It can vary. Usually I'll add a slurry of water and corn starch to thicken slightly. I prefer my soups leaning towards a chowder thickness a bit. A tbs of corn starch with a 1/4 cup water does the trick.
Then plate up with some crusty bread on the side.

DSCN4519.jpg

Amazing Camera work. The 3 D stands out and the Colors really Pop. Gravy man, Gravy

Holy cow!! This one is saved and printed to go into the Big Black Book. We love soups around here when the temps drop and this is likely to be the first one of the season that I make. Sounds fantastic!! Like Chile, Tracy isn't into kale for some reason so I'll probably do broccoli or spinach right at the end. Beautiful job and thanks for posting this.

Robert

I’m a fan of kale in my soups. This one looks great and is being bookmarked to try.

Like!

Right on time for fall Steve!! Looks awesome. I do love soups I’m the fall and winter.

looks great Steve! Been cool and rainy last couple of days...would be good soup day!

Ryan

I had never had that soup until a couple of years ago when a family member made some. It quickly became one of my favorite soups although I have never made it myself as I didn't have a recipe to go by. I may have to give your recipe a try.

Looks great Steve! Got me hungry! I saved this recipe last year when you had made some but I still haven't done it yet. Cooler weather is upon us!

Steve, thanks for resurrecting a memory and recipe for me. I'd completely forgotten about this soup my mother would make on occasion. Definitely making it soon.

Kale is my wife's kryptonite, so baby spinach will replace it.

Amazing Camera work. The 3 D stands out and the Colors really Pop. Gravy man, Gravy
Thank you! I decided to get creative with this picture.

That looks and sounds very good. Bookmarked for future reference. Like!
Thank you!

It all sounds great...
Right up to the Kale, Kale tears my guts up something fierce.
Might substitute some Broccoli Rabe.
I've used fresh spinach leaves before when I couldn't find kale. It was ok. Though it doesn't stay firm like Kale though. I bet Rabe would be fine with this.

Nice especially come the cold weather.

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Holy cow!! This one is saved and printed to go into the Big Black Book. We love soups around here when the temps drop and this is likely to be the first one of the season that I make. Sounds fantastic!! Like Chile, Tracy isn't into kale for some reason so I'll probably do broccoli or spinach right at the end. Beautiful job and thanks for posting this.

Robert
Thanks Robert! If you use spinach. Add it at the very end to retain some firmness to the leaves.

I’m a fan of kale in my soups. This one looks great and is being bookmarked to try.

Like!
looks great Steve, getting that time of year for meals like that!
Thanks Jim! IT sure is. Summer flew by, that's for sure!

Looks like that'd warm you right up on a cold day, Like! RAY
IT does at that Ray! Though the bacon potato chowder I make does it better.

Heck yeah Steve that looks delicious. Bookmarked to make later in the fall
Thanks Jake!

I often sub in baby spinach
That works too. Just add it at the very end.

Yeah,
spinach would be good, any number of other greens would be too.
I'm a fan of mildly bitter flavors, so the broccoli rabe after sauteing is really nice.
I'll have to give Rabe a try. It does stay pretty firm.

looks great Steve! Been cool and rainy last couple of days...would be good soup day!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

I had never had that soup until a couple of years ago when a family member made some. It quickly became one of my favorite soups although I have never made it myself as I didn't have a recipe to go by. I may have to give your recipe a try.
Please do. It is one of our favorites.

Looks great Steve! Got me hungry! I saved this recipe last year when you had made some but I still haven't done it yet. Cooler weather is upon us!
Thanks! What are you waiting for?! Lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky