Post Snake Method questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 5, 2018
Elgin SC
Juat wrapped up my first smoke via the snake method in my 22.5 kettle. I am pleased with the results however I was expecting a longer burn time. Most posts I have read seem to have achieved 10 hours or so on a full ring of coals without ends touching of course . I’ll attach a picture of what I started with. By the end of 8hrs I had consumed the ring I started with plus another half ring. I stacked these 2-1 to start. The second half I added were stacked 2-2. Outside temps were 40 degrees and temps got up to 50 by the end of my cook. I was using kingsford blue. Vents wide open to start and bottom vent adjusted to keep temps between 250-300. Any and all suggestions on thing I could’ve done differently to extend burn time is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• E17508A7-B1FA-495A-A452-0ECBB476AB25.jpeg
    E17508A7-B1FA-495A-A452-0ECBB476AB25.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 77
One thing I see from my own picture is with that drip pan I have I really only have 3/4 of a ring. With the half ring I added I really have 1 1/4 of a snake. So time aren’t as bad I thought.

When smoking in my kettle I use a pan,same as in your pic but centered in the kettle,typically with a couple inches of water/wine/applejuice etc.It keeps the temps down and catches drippings.I fill the void all around the pan with charcoal,with a few small wood chunks buried here and there,then I add lit,ashed over coals on either side of the pan ~ 5-8.I also use the grate with the "flip wings",which facilitates easy reloading/adding wood chunks for long smokes like butts.
upload_2019-3-19_14-9-33.png

When smoking in my kettle I use a pan,same as in your pic but centered in the kettle,typically with a couple inches of water/wine/applejuice etc.It keeps the temps down and catches drippings.I fill the void all around the pan with charcoal,with a few small wood chunks buried here and there,then I add lit,ashed over coals on either side of the pan ~ 5-8.I also use the grate with the "flip wings",which facilitates easy reloading/adding wood chunks for long smokes like butts.
View attachment 390808
I like this idea the only thing I hate was refueling the snake. I literally had to remove the rack to add even though I have the flip wings

Just rotate it to add coals where you want them then rotate it back to the original position.
I cut my smoking teeth on a kettle,they aren't the most efficient smokers but they surely can and do get the job done.

Reactions: tag0401
Just rotate it to add coals where you want them then rotate it back to the original position.
I cut my smoking teeth on a kettle,they aren't the most efficient smokers but they surely can and do get the job done.
That was my original plan but the pan was in the way and I didn’t want to stir any ash due to the fact I hadn’t wrapped the meat yet. I actually enjoyed smoking on it for sure. Can’t wait to try other techniques.

I think you will get a longer burn time if you use Royal Oak briquettes (or the Walmart or Home Depot version of them). I'd get at least 10 hours out of a full snake and it wasn't unusual to get 11 or 12, but I'm in South Florida, so chilly weather usually isn't a problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky